Weekend hunting- photos added

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Bad-dog

Weekend hunting- photos added

Post by Bad-dog »

Please let me introduce myself, I'm a very keen hunter from New Zealand where I have been hunting for over 40 years. I can still recall my first hunt when my father carried me on his shoulders I was 5 years old.
I'd like to share a recent hunt, on the weekend of the 12th of May myself and two fiends traveled to Gisborne to hunt pigs and maybe shoot a deer. To cut along story short on the first day we caught 6 nice eating sized pigs with my dogs and I also managed to shoot a resonable sized red stag. Of all the pigs we got only 1 was shot and i shot that with a Rossi 92 in 44 magnum and 300 grain Hornady XTP factory ammo, I shot the stag with my 7mm08 and a 140 grain accubond reload. the follwing day I shot a red hind on the way home. We stopped in the Waioeka ( pronounced Y-O-ek-a ) gorge to stretch our legs and admire the scenery, next thing my mate Paul yells out deer and sure enough theres a hind approaching the river, next thing the deer is swimming across it,in the mean time have reached for the 44 and thumbed a couple of rounds into it. While this has happened the deer has relised we were there and bolts down the river bank (on our side) not quite quick enough as i was able to take it out with a 300 grain XTP which broke its back leg then entered the edge of its rib cage through its lungs and then exit just behind its foreleg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bad-dog on 11 Aug 2012 05:10, edited 3 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weekend hunting

Post by Ranch Dog »

"Whacking and stacking 'em!"

Just curious, is a "hind" in NZ a whitetail?
Michael
Bad-dog

Post by Bad-dog »

Hi Michael, a hind is the equivalent to a doe, while a stag is the same with a buck. We have white tail here in NZ but they are in isolated sites, in good numbers though. Red reer are our most wide spread deer species followed by fallow and then sika.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If you looked long & hard enough you'd probably find Whitetail deer in the Arctic.
They've got to be one of the most adaptable & successful animals that ever lived taking 2nd place only to HOGS.
It takes 2 hogs to escape from a hunting preserve and next thing you know there are roving super-sounders eating your cash crops before they've had time to sprout out of the ground.
Seems like Pennsylvania is seriously thinking about prohibiting importing of hogs even to established game preserves.
If they're just thinking about it now it's probably already too late.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning from Peru
Good reading on the hunt. Out in our deserts there just are no critters to be found except wild dogs and a very few partrige type bird. On the other side of the Andes where it rains more there is an abundance but that is 20 hours away.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Love the old huntin stories guys keep them comin.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Bad-dog

Post by Bad-dog »

Finally figured out how to post a photo or two :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weekend hunting- photos added

Post by Ranch Dog »

Beautiful country! I love a place where you can hunt in shorts!
Michael