Just Killed Three More Hogs!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just Killed Three More Hogs!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've had a sounder of hogs tearing up a food plot that is in view of my home, just above a bottom piece of land. Just sat down at my computer and looked out there in the predawn and there was some mighty large hogs! Grabbed my 44 Mag Scout Rifle from the backdoor gun rack and could only get about 70 yards from them. Shot a big sow and then they took off. The direction they took told me that they would cross my boundary fence about 300 yards on the other side of the bottom so I took off running down a power line right of way that would get me there. 20 seconds after I got there, I could hear them coming. Shot two more large sows as they came out clear of the brush along the fence line! They were 20-yards away!

This little rifle is growing on me!
Michael
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Just Killed Three More Hogs!

Post by Dan 444 »

Makin' bacon :D :D

Which bullet and and any recovered?

Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just Killed Three More Hogs!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:Makin' bacon :D :D

TLC432-240-RF. All broadside lung shots that blew right through them. I recover very few bullets, in fact I think the only two I have found were in a nilgai and a desert mule deer.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Dan 444 wrote:Makin' bacon :D :D

TLC432-240-RF. All broadside lung shots that blew right through them. I recover very few bullets, in fact I think the only two I have found were in a nilgai and a desert mule deer.
Apparently even the .44 Mag is a bit overkill for hogs.

I figure a 92 in .45 LC pushing a competent lead bullet would be plenty to KO a hog with judicious bullet placement...........even a real big hog at the typically short ranges of 100 yards or less.

The hog hunter who is packing a .454 Casull, a souped up .45-70 Gvt or goodness forbid a Savage Brush Hunter in .375 Ruger is literally beating himself (with recoil) up for nothing and unnecessarily destroying meat in the process.

I'm sure Sir Issac Newton would agree with the above.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Apparently even the .44 Mag is a bit overkill for hogs.
You are right about that. I'm of the opinion that just about any center fire cartridge shooting a round or flat point bullet through the rib cage is gun enough.I've killed them with the 218 Bee up. Where I've seen trouble develop is with pointy bullets used on head or frontal shots particularly with cartridges of less than 30 caliber especially if that bullet is moving at high velocity. A hog's skull is a series of very sharp angles and does a great job of deflecting a bullet. With the bulk of a hog, it takes a lot of air for them to keep moving. Ventilate them well and they run out of steam very quickly.
Michael