First Kill with R92 45LC Scout Rifle

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Kill with R92 45LC Scout Rifle

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was going to start today with a post in the "Range" forum about my load work with my R92 and my TLC454-290-RF lead bullet. At 9:00 this morning, I happened to look down a power line that leads up to my house and about 300-yards out I could see a couple of young hogs out on the sendero. I had just finished the work on with my 45 Colt last night and did not have one round of ammo left so I went into the reloading room and loaded two cases with a max load (25.5-grains of Lil-gun for 1805 FPS at 38.3K PSI).

Talking a round about way, downwind, I went to a fence line that I though the hogs might cross. I waited about 15 minutes with nothing and decided that the small hogs were probably wandering around while mom napped so I carefully walked the half mile back to where I first saw them. As I approached the spot, I heard a very small twig snap and stood rock still. Soon, about feet 15' in the dense brush I found the outline of an ear. Looking hard, I could make out the throat of the animal, and promptly drove the 290-grain bullet through the animal. It immediately bolted to me and I shot a again at "zero" distance and broke its front leg which turned the animal away from me. It ran about 35 yards at fell over dead. Quite exciting! ;)

I think the hog had been dozing and due to the wind blowing at this time of morning did not hear me approach it. I also think it had "startled" as you do when you catch yourself napping, and in the dense brush it had popped that twig that gave me the "heads up". I was on top of this sow but the scout scope was a natural extension of a fluid shot picture. Very pleased!
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: First Kill with R92 45LC Scout Rifle

Post by Arktikos »

Very cool! Next time better load 3! :o

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Gotta love that get your heart pumpin. I think for hogs a bayoneted rifle could have some use in case they do get a little to close. good shootin there ranch dog under pressure most fold you kept it together.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I was going to start today with a post in the "Range" forum about my load work with my R92 and my TLC454-290-RF lead bullet. At 9:00 this morning, I happened to look down a power line that leads up to my house and about 300-yards out I could see a couple of young hogs out on the sendero. I had just finished the work on with my 45 Colt last night and did not have one round of ammo left so I went into the reloading room and loaded two cases with a max load (25.5-grains of Lil-gun for 1805 FPS at 38.3K PSI).

Talking a round about way, downwind, I went to a fence line that I though the hogs might cross. I waited about 15 minutes with nothing and decided that the small hogs were probably wandering around while mom napped so I carefully walked the half mile back to where I first saw them. As I approached the spot, I heard a very small twig snap and stood rock still. Soon, about feet 15' in the dense brush I found the outline of an ear. Looking hard, I could make out the throat of the animal, and promptly drove the 290-grain bullet through the animal. It immediately bolted to me and I shot a again at "zero" distance and broke its front leg which turned the animal away from me. It ran about 35 yards at fell over dead. Quite exciting! ;)

I think the hog had been dozing and due to the wind blowing at this time of morning did not hear me approach it. I also think it had "startled" as you do when you catch yourself napping, and in the dense brush it had popped that twig that gave me the "heads up". I was on top of this sow but the scout scope was a natural extension of a fluid shot picture. Very pleased!
Congrats on the hog & "blooding" your new rifle.
290 grain projectile @ 1805 fps = 2097 ft-lbs .....IMPRESSIVE !
.30-30 ME from a .45 LC.
I'll bet that 5 pound rifle is downright sassy when fed that rich a diet, especially wearing that steel butt plate. :o
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Very cool! Next time better load 3! :o
Yeah, or a magazine tube full!
akuser47 wrote:Gotta love that get your heart pumpin. I think for hogs a bayoneted rifle could have some use in case they do get a little to close. good shootin there ranch dog under pressure most fold you kept it together.
I durn sure did not plan on getting so close!
pricedo wrote: Congrats on the hog & "blooding" your new rifle.
290 grain projectile @ 1805 fps = 2097 ft-lbs .....IMPRESSIVE !
.30-30 ME from a .45 LC.
I'll bet that 5 pound rifle is downright sassy when fed that rich a diet, especially wearing that steel butt plate. :o
The bench shooting is miserable. You really need to saddle up correctly to the stock butt or you will pay. Didn't even notice it out there in the brush. I'm going to actually throttle it back to 25-grains of Lil' Gun. That will put me at 1765 FPS at 35K PSI, the pressure I wanted the rifle to operate at.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The interesting thing about this Braztech rifle is that I have not done a thing to it. I bought the parts from SG but haven't touched the rifle yet. I did not even clean the action out. I put it in the vice and ran an entire tube of ammo through it, lickity split. So, I cleaned the bore and started shooting it. It will soon get a bit of treatment to at least put in the SG spring but I'm actually curious and would not be surprised if BT started putting in the shorter spring. How nice would that be? They could eliminate 90% of their problems literally out of the box!
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Hey MIchael,

I bet you made the Guiness Records with killing something with the freshest ammo. Do they have a category for that? Once again, you are the envy of all. Here's a pic from Mike's backyard, all we have here are deer & bears.

Frank
Picture 020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dang, I would like to pop that fellow with one of my bullets!
Michael