Large Boar Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Large Boar Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

One of my hunters killed a large boar yesterday about 30 minutes after sunset. You can see the tusks in the photo below. That is my Dad in the picture, not the hunter.
Hog_Joe_120318.jpg
He called me on the phone, he was about a mile from the house, wanting to know what to do with him. There was a pretty good lightning storm in progress so I told him I would haul him off in the morning. He shot him with a bolt-gun chambered in 308 Win using a 180-grain round nose bullet with a lot of lead on the front of it. It is through the heart but it did not take a step. Died right where it was standing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Large Boar Hog

Post by Barry in IN »

Holy cow! Look at the size of that thing. It looks like a good sized calf lying there.

Your dad looks like he took his gloves off, slapped the hog across the face with them, and it dropped dead.
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

That's a nice boar. I've never been hog hunting and it's really something that I need to do. I will be retiring next fall at age 62. The wife and I will be getting out of Conecticut and retreating to our place in the Northern Adirondacks full time. Once retired, I'll have the time to go South and get me a hog.

Think a .432"-290g, MV = 2200 fps do the job? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:Think a .432"-290g, MV = 2200 fps do the job? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:One of my hunters killed a large boar yesterday about 30 minutes after sunset. You can see the tusks in the photo below. That is my Dad in the picture, not the hunter.
Hog_Joe_120318.jpg
He called me on the phone, he was about a mile from the house, wanting to know what to do with him. There was a pretty good lightning storm in progress so I told him I would haul him off in the morning. He shot him with a bolt-gun chambered in 308 Win using a 180-grain round nose bullet with a lot of lead on the front of it. It is through the heart but it did not take a step. Died right where it was standing.
Probably one of those 180 grain Remington RN Core-Lokts..........cheaper than dirt ($14-$16 per box of 20 loaded cartridges) & absolutely lethal on hogs at the speed the .308 Win moves them out.
You don't need the pricey premium super bullets to kill a hog.......but you gotta hit them in the right place.
Shot a couple of hogs with the 180 grain RN Core-Lokts and the drop was instantaneous & vertical to the ground.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA