WHERE TO CRIMP

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
30calpal

WHERE TO CRIMP

Post by 30calpal »

Hey RD, I have a couple of your molds designs by Lee, the 460-350 and the 379-235. NOE is making molds similar to them with 'conventional' grease grooves and can be had in HP. I've ordered a set of those as well. Where should I crimp these, 1st, 2nd or 3rd groove from the top??
Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: WHERE TO CRIMP

Post by akuser47 »

Wouldn't u have to play close to the sammi specs of C.O.L.? Sorry I cannot be specific to the bullet but if you have the C.O.L. then that should get you into the ballpark.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

it's gonna depend on the gun,the throat,and the case that you use.
someone using hornady's super duper brass is gonna use a different crimp groove for the same oal.
someone using a single shot can use that same crimp groove but also use winchester or starline brass.
and someone using an 86 browning will again have a slightly different set up versus someone using the boolit in a marlin 450 or a 458 win mag double rifle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The bullet, 379-235, took in mind the wide range of chamber cuts and brass lengths available for the 38-55 Win. As the others have indicated, It will take some investigation on your part to see which groove to work with on your rifle and brass.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
And sometimes you have to do a little brass length adjustment to get things perfect.
Most recently this past summer when I was up in ILLinois again I had to shorten my 50-95 brass just to get to a crimp groove. But it all worked out well. With a proper crimp in place the cast bullets would stay in place going through the tube and chambering.
So do not overlook a possible need to shorten some brass for a particular condition.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Missionary wrote:So do not overlook a possible need to shorten some brass for a particular condition.
I've even had some "custom" Lee trimmers made for specific applications.
Michael