Bullet design

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!

Bullet design

Post by 0369 »

I'm looking for a design for my 92 in 45 Colt. I'd like a plain base, round nose flat point around 325-350 grains. I really like the Lee 454-255 RNFP design but want one heavier for fun and if I ever get to Alaska. I was going to order a mold from LBT, but I already have blocks made waiting to be cut so I figured I'd save some money.
I was thinking about copying my Lee mold and just make it longer but I'm not sure if it would work and how much longer to make it to hit my target weight. My blocks are aluminum and if they drop too heavy I'll just fly cut some off the top to get it right. If it will work I may make a WFN with a bigger meplat.
Any suggestions?
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Bullet design

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I would first make a chamber cast of my rifle to get a good read on diameters.
Then I would get the max diameter made to fill the throat yet still chamber correctly.
Even if the nose needed to be a two diameter job I would definitly have the bullet be throat diameter.
Mike in ILL
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Based on my familiarity with the cartridge and designing bullets for it, I think you will run into two issues with a bullet that size. Both of the issues would be related to length. The first is case bulge. Most of the length of the bullet will be inside the case and the case bulge will make it difficult to chamber. The second issue would be case capacity, or the reduction of it created by the volume of housing the additional 100-grains of lead in the case.

Not trying to discourage you but I would only work on one cavity of the block before cutting them all.
Michael

Post by 0369 »

I guess I'll just get some 110 or 2400 and push the 255s a little faster. I still need to use up some blocks and I gave up on my 8mm project.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

cutting the nose area out like a rnfp to mimick the cyl throats closely would gain you quite a bit of weight right there and not affect the way the boolit fly's or the on game performance.
you could also cut the front drive band a bit longer to take up free room in the chamber before the throat.

Post by 0369 »

I did find a design that I like in the Accurate #45-325V. There's only .39" below the crimp, so maybe I'll turn one on the lathe out of copper and see how it fits if a chamber cast shows promise. If I think it will work, I may order a mold, or if it doesn't, I may make the changes needed and make my own. Or I may just make one in a tumble lube design.