lymans molds for the rossi's

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Tazman1602

Re: lymans molds for the rossi's and nose profile

Post by Tazman1602 »

Man I was just going to ask about nose profile and feeding issues with cast bullets. My current stock of .38 molds is Lyman and NOE. The only cast I've been able to feed -- and then it's a very slow feed, it will jam if you try to cowboy it, is the 358156 GC Lyman. Even the 358311 Lyman will hang when I try to chamber it and some won't fit the chamber.

Since I size mine at .359 to fit my other handguns, could it be I need to size these down more for this rifle? My 92 feeds Hornady XTP all day long with no issues.

Maybe RD or Runfiver have some suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or something I'm not doing? My barrel slugged at .357 on the nose.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: lymans molds for the rossi's

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:Maybe RD or Runfiver have some suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or something I'm not doing? My barrel slugged at .357 on the nose.
The groove diameter of both my 357 Mag R92s is. 355". I'm sizing both my TLC359 bullets to .357" and the function without issue.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Thanks RD, I'm going to try squashing some down today and seeing how they feed................

Hey since you're posting while hunting are you doing any good? Season starts here next week and we just can't flippin wait!

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tazman1602 wrote:Hey since you're posting while hunting are you doing any good? Season starts here next week and we just can't flippin wait!
Killed a hog between posts this morning! Seeing a bunch of deer but not a whitetail buck I'm interested in shooting yet. My dad killed a nice buck earlier in the week.

I read alot or or do this as it helps me be still. Don't miss much either. I interrupted this posting for a few minutes when I saw a doe cross the sendero, stopped, put the rifle up in case a buck was tailing her.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

I do the same thing in the blind RD!

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
---Theodore Roosevelt
janoosh

Post by janoosh »

I'm using a Rossi 92 in 38/357. I've used Lyman mold 358-156 GC and it was alright. Not fantastic, but it would do. Lyman 35863 and 358495 wadcutters, good at 50yds, loaded singly, or having the wadcutter seated way out of the case to touch the rifling.this will cycle thru my action. Seated flush, it won't. 358242, I have these molds but haven't tried them yet. I'm not looking for long range (over 50 yds) with these boolits, I'm just interested in fun plinking at 50 yds.
janoosh

Post by janoosh »

Apologies for not adding this on my previous post. A lyman 360 round Ball. These are great fun for kids.....and adults. NO recoil, just a pop, and action downrange. I have to load these singly as they don't feed well. I have tried a multiple ball load and it wasn't reliable. The amount of powder used is laughable. Very easy to double or triple load. So I use Trail Boss.
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

I have had good luck with the 358156 seated in 38 cases and loaded in the second crimp groove.