RD's 357 Mag Bullets

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD's 357 Mag Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thought I would show you my three bullets that I'm shooting or will be shooting through my two R92s chambered in 357 Mag.

The bullet on the left, my TLC356-135-RF, was actually designed as a +P bullet for the 9mm Luger. The designation diameter, "356", is a little misleading in that it has a .356" bore rider nose. The bullet body's greater diameter is .357", a perfect fit for the R92s .355" groove. It just happens that the nose works out well for the 357 Mag, at a cartridge OAL of 1.59" the crimp groove lines up with the case neck for a perfect crimp. This bullet is under diameter for large diameter throat of my Marlin 1894C.

The middle bullet is the bullet I designed for the 357 Mag, my TLC359-175-RF. It is a 175-grain bullet. The bullet on the right, my 190-grain TLC359-190-RF was designed for the 35 Remington. By using 38 Spl brass with this bullet, the crimp groove matches the case mouth perfectly at 1.59". The short case also helps with the issue of cast bullet case bulge and I shoot the cartridge at 357 Mag pressures.

All the bullets are gas checked and sized .357". I use Lil'' Gun with all of them. 19.0-grains for the "135" produces 2100 FPS. 16.0-grains for the"175" at 1800 FPS. 15.0-grains for the "190" at 1700 FPS. I'm using the "135" and "175" in my Skinner Peep sighted 56-001 rifle and the shooting has just started with the "190" in my new "56-002" scout.
Michael
grandad

Re: RD's 357 Mag Bullets

Post by grandad »

Hi Mate i am from australia. looking at your ballistics they certainly appear to hot loads.
love to know your powder?
how do those loads pictured cycle thru your action?
i find that i really have to have a definate case roll into canellure to ensure reliability. 5 shots in 15 seconds you do not have time for hangups.
pigs out here in the lignum if he comes at you you may have 6' the first shot may well not put him down,sasw amate put 5 into one at 6' before he fell over, mate had the shakes i tell you because that was his last shot, looked fabulous from where i was standing.
let me know if you have any leading problem.
i shoot a R92 -357 IN REGULAR competitions will use around 2000 rounds a year including practice.
used to run lead and gaschecks thru my revolver but got sick of leading in barrel.

grandad
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

grandad wrote:Hi Mate i am from australia. looking at your ballistics they certainly appear to hot loads.
love to know your powder?
how do those loads pictured cycle thru your action?
i find that i really have to have a definate case roll into canellure to ensure reliability. 5 shots in 15 seconds you do not have time for hangups.
pigs out here in the lignum if he comes at you you may have 6' the first shot may well not put him down,sasw amate put 5 into one at 6' before he fell over, mate had the shakes i tell you because that was his last shot, looked fabulous from where i was standing.
let me know if you have any leading problem.
i shoot a R92 -357 IN REGULAR competitions will use around 2000 rounds a year including practice.
used to run lead and gaschecks thru my revolver but got sick of leading in barrel.

grandad
Greetings grandad and welcome to the forum! After the load work with the three I settled on the middle bullet in the opening image, the TLC359-175-RF. In that I designed it specifically for the 357 Mag rifle, the accuracy performance of my 9mm Luger and 35 Remington bullets could not compete. I have no leading issues, I don't use anything that doesn't fit. Same with feed. I have R92 rifles, a scout rifle and a standard 20" round barrel rifle, and they both shuck the .357" sized bullets through the barrel without ANY issue. Neither rifle has had anything done to it, nothing other than brake cleaner sprayed through it followed by gun oil and compressed air.

Here is the data along with the ballistic and terminal results.
Load03_data.jpg
Load03_ballistics.jpg
Load03_terminal.jpg
As far as a crimp goes, I use a special order Lee Factory Crimp die. I had these made for all my pistol cartridge rifles; 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt. They use the collet fingers that move into the case mouth horizontally to form the crimp. They are similar to any of the Lee rifle FCDs.
Something wrong with bullet design for the application.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
grandad

Post by grandad »

Hi.Mate thanks for ballistic chart . those big projectiles will knock something over.
i will give that load a run.
do you get any increase in felt recoil?
crimps. i use an old Super Simplex progressive press. the bullet seating die has the step internally forms the crimp.
we have a bullet maker here HRBC Produce molded lead bullets with an overcote of copper material. sent them my load data, came back-would have to use gaschecks but could not garauntee non leading at 2000 :o :o :o fps velocity.
i am really interested to see how you go. keep in touch
grandad