Powder Coating - first try

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Powder Coating - first try

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Picked up some Harbor Freight "yellow" that turns out closer to orange. After I got the powder I found a couple of YouTube videos that informed me that HF yellow does not work as well a HF red but it's better than HF white and don't use HF black.

Using the shake and bake method, I "coated" a few of three different boolits that I had on hand and learned a few things. 1) the video guys are right HF yellow comes out mottled no matter how much shaking you do. 2) DO NOT allow excess powder to accumulate in the bottom of the pan around the boolit bases - you wind up with a flange on the boolit. 3)PC boolits are slick even the areas with no color have what appears to be a "clear" coating.
First PC Boolits-resized.jpg
They are left to right Lyman 311413, Lee 3241751R & Lyman 410655.
I've got to try for a thinner coat next time as gas checks are darn near impossible to seat on the 30 cal and 8mm. The 8's are destined for the M24 Mauser, the 30's in the commie carbine and the 40's in the Sharps with some form of smokeless. Just need to find some loading time.

Make smoke, enjoy the 4th,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Powder Coating - first try

Post by donhuff »

That HF powder sux. You'll never get them to look very good using that stuff and doing the tumble method. They work the same as pretty bullets do though, just ugly.

I get my powder from "powder by the pound" All different prices depending on what you want, but I use the cheaper stuff and it does fine. They have an unbelievable number of colors to choose from too.

Shoot them they will work fine.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70