A Thing of Beauty (new NOE mold)

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: A Thing of Beauty (new NOE mold)

Post by donhuff »

Nathan, whose's that ? gasguzzler.

I probably showing my computer ignorance here, but where do yall find peoples names? I hate calling people by those silly handle names.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Okie44 wrote:What did Ethan do? I missed it!

He got some of Nathans bullets to load, but has not gotten around to it yet. Nathan want a report on how the perform.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Cheyenne4090 wrote:
donhuff wrote:
He did not give me the mold, but rather we swapped some bullets and parts, and he gave me this style bullet to try. Of course I shot one of my best ever 100 yard groups with that gun, using HIS bullets. So I HAD to have the mold.
Don,

What are the details of the load? If it was one of your best 100yd groups I am interested.

Thanks

Don you can disregard my question! I think I found it on another thread 18.5 lil gun and 357 brass 1900 fps, nice shooting

Unless you have done a good bit of work on your rifle, you will not be able to use my load. I have mine where I can load a long cartridge out to 1.750+ inches.
So on that load you referenced, I had the bullet in the lower crimp groove and the OAL was 1.660". That gave me enough room under the bullet to add a lot more powder, and maintain the same pressure, than if it were only 1.6" long.

RD has data for his 190 grain bullet and LilGun and a normal 1.6" OAL, and it peaked at (IIRC) 15.5 grs LilGun. I think that this bullet is slightly longer than the one I am using and has a longer nose, so it is possible that the charge weight could be upped slightly if using my shorter one.

On my load, while I am calling the 18.5 as looking like the MAX. I have some more loaded at a reduced 18.0 grains and am hoping that the accuracy holds up with this load to reduce the stress on the gun and brass. I lost a lot of brass doing this and going over max, but that's the only way I know to find where MAX actually is.
I think in my data that this load slowed down only about 30-40 fps, and I would think that it will shoot about as well, plus the SD was a good bit lower on this charge weight and the next one down my ladder. I have not tried the 18.0 load for accuracy ye , but I feel confident that it will also do ok.

It was one of my best groups with this gun, and I am hoping that it was not a fluke. The magazine full that I shot just prior to it was also good even though I was not trying to do well but instead mostly checking my scope to make sure I was on the paper. After I saw how well it did I got a little more serious and then the last five rounds I had of this load produced that good group. Then I was out of ammo and could not back it up. I have shot groups about this small before but they were with the lee 125gr bullet and a mild charge. I think I have a few jacketed bullet targets this small to, or very close to it. But this was a surprise to me because it was a really fast and heavy CAST bullet that was doing so well.
I need a different scope because the 4x weaver's cross hairs are so bold that they cover up my little 3/4" dot that I use as an aiming spot.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

ethang wrote:Don I got some of Nathan's bullets to try but have not had a chance to load any. I am really curious how the coated vs non-coated is going to play out. Planning on using LilGun also. It might be warm enough this weekend to give it a whirl.

Those look great btw.

I forgot to comment about the coated bullet vs non coated statement.

I doubt that unless you shoot both side by side, you would ever "see" any difference. If you were to shoot them to compare, first all you should see is that the coated ones make less smoke, and powder residue(soot).

Since your using the same amount of powder, how can there be less soot, you ask???? Weren't you wondering that?
There is not less soot, but because of the lack of a greasy lube, that gets vaporized during firing, and then mixes with the soot. The soot does not stick to the gun so much. And what does deposit on the gun can mostly be blown off, and then the rest is easy to wipe off with a cloth. Doesn't get all over your hands either like when shooting a revolver.

The other thing you might notice, if you take enough bullets with you. Is that you can shoot 500 rounds and the last round will be as accurate as the first, because the bore will be nearly spotless. One pass with a patch with some WD40 on it and your good for another 500. Of course that depends on how smooth the bore is in the first place.

People tend to think that the coated bullets are slicker and thus should be faster. NOPE they are not. I have actually stuck coated bullets in the sizer, never had that happen with a plain lead bullet. I even tried some powder with teflon in it thinking that they would have to be slicker/faster....nope, same speed.
And accuracy should not be affected any at all. If an old lead load of mine was accurate before I started coating, it does just as well after coating. If it was bad before, it's still bad.

The only thing the coating does, is replace the best lube you have ever tried, and STOP leading in the barrel 100%.
Well also, it does make people at the shooting range ask questions, and that's a plus.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
ethang

Post by ethang »

donhuff wrote:Nathan, whose's that ? gasguzzler.

I probably showing my computer ignorance here, but where do yall find peoples names? I hate calling people by those silly handle names.
It's a secret technique, very complicated and hard to explain. ....

As to the coating I have heard all the good things about doing it and have tried some 9mm coated.
Love the lack of sticky lube on them. This bullet gives another variable between the gas-checked normal and the coated non-checked.
Plastic has no soul...
ethang

Post by ethang »

GasGuzzler wrote:Please report, Ethan.

(that sentence is funny without the comma).
Ha and will do.
Plastic has no soul...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

About real names. Nowhere is the info recorded on the forum unless a user includes it in their signature or mentions it in a post. In other words, it is not stored in a user data file. The less the better in case the data base is ever compromised. Really the only thing stored, personal information, is your email address that you registered with. I even stopped the birth date data; eliminated it from the registration and deleted what data had been recorded.

Back to the stuff that is written in posts. Any and everything written is recorded by bots. It has to be so as this is how the search engines work. Never post anything you don't want available to others outside this forum, to include your signature block, as it will become available to the general public. This caution applies to any type of social media. Never post your address, email address, or phone number unless you want to be contacted by a stranger. Bots can strip this information, they know what they are looking at, and use it as they see fit (possibly sell it).
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

ethang wrote:
donhuff wrote:Nathan, whose's that ? gasguzzler.

It's a secret technique, very complicated and hard to explain. ....

As to the coating I have heard all the good things about doing it and have tried some 9mm coated.
Love the lack of sticky lube on them. This bullet gives another variable between the gas-checked normal and the coated non-checked.

You understand that the coating in no way does away with the need for a gas check, right? You will lose accuracy at exactly the same pressure without a check whether coated or not.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ranch Dog wrote:About real names. Nowhere is the info recorded on the forum unless a user includes it in their signature or mentions it in a post. In other words, it is not stored in a user data file. The less the better in case the data base is ever compromised. Really the only thing stored, personal information, is your email address that you registered with. I even stopped the birth date data; eliminated it from the registration and deleted what data had been recorded.

Back to the stuff that is written in posts. Any and everything written is recorded by bots. It has to be so as this is how the search engines work. Never post anything you don't want available to others outside this forum, to include your signature block, as it will become available to the general public. This caution applies to any type of social media. Never post your address, email address, or phone number unless you want to be contacted by a stranger. Bots can strip this information, they know what they are looking at, and use it as they see fit (possibly sell it).

OH! ok I understand now.

what about in a private message? do the bot see those too?
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:what about in a private message? do the bot see those too?
No, they cannot see those.

There are registered and unregistered bots on the forum but none communicate, so they would not send you a PM or communicate with you. Registered bots are legit in their search but they will mirror what is posted here in their search results as mentioned above. These are the Google, Yahoo, Bing, and similar bots. The unregistered bots typically have a commercial purpose and an effort is made to curb their registration; hence, the various attempts at human interaction during registration. Humans do launch some bots as registered users but they are left on their own after. These are a lot like "lurkers" that never participate and if fact, you would never know who is a lurker or a unregistered bot.
Michael