Fake Santa

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Fake Santa

Post by mr surveyor »

GG, those are some nice looking bullets, Brother. That is exactly the bullet I've been thinking about for my R92, and SP-101 if they'll fit it too. I'm waiting to read your range report :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Need a sample? My Lub-A-Matic isn't set up yet so I'd have to manually size and lube them or send them raw.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:Need a sample? My Lub-A-Matic isn't set up yet so I'd have to manually size and lube them or send them raw.

I may take you up on the offer after you've worked them up and found the sweet spot. I'll check with my buddy that's casting, and if he's interested I might buy him the mold.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

No telling when I'll work them up. I need to build a bench extension for casting/sizing, move one press, build a lube heater, some other stuff.

I have some raw that would eliminate all the wait other than size and lube.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Got the Lub-A-Matic 2 set up with an old bench I used to use to reload. Had to move a giant box of Hot Wheels track, a fertilizer spreader, and a bunch of chicken stuff but I got her screwed to the wall and my lead working equipment set up.

Now I am researching the remaining parts I need to build a cheap lube heater. I need some plate, another metal box, and some electrical small parts. I'm glad to have my reloading bench back because it's my work bench too and was too crowded serving three purposes.

+corn
GasGuzzler

Fake Santa

Post by GasGuzzler »

Built the control box for the lube heater today.

Here are the raw materials all bought new for $10.

Here is the mock up.

Here is the wiring. The black was broken to add the switch. The small white braided wires are to the element. The small red and blue wires in the black sheath are to the temp probe. The green is from the cord and connects to the switch ground.

Here's the control mocked up after I cut the hole in the box.

Here's wiring being installed in the final product.

Up and running. All that's left is making the heat sink/insulator plate. I have a 4X4 3/4" thick aluminum plate on the way at a cost of $10. I'll drill a blind horizontal hole for the element, a blind horizontal hole for the temp sensor, and two through holes for the hold down bolts.

Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

That looks like a dandy deal! :D
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Sure was!

Had a little trouble yesterday with the LAM2 so I had to pitch some bullets.

I'm freezing operations until I measure the ones already sized.

Had several stick and scar, a few came out .356". I have to caliper check them all just in case.

Not sure what happened. Took the dies out several times, never found anything but got it running again at .358" with no sticking and no scarring but I don't know why other than I turned off the heater.

Maybe running the heater raw with no plate inconsistently swelled certain parts of the LAM2?
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

I'm not sure what is going on. You may have already found the answer.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Got my plate in so it's time to finish the lube heater.

Here's the start of the last step.

Drilled (freehand) the 3/8" hole for the element halfway across (left to right) the back side and biased up vertically to within about an 1/8th of an inch from the top surface. I picked this location to most conveniently and effectively heat the entire plate.

Drilled the 11/64" temperature sensor hole in the 3/4" thick plate 3/8" from the front on the left side and centered vertically. I picked this location because it's under the lube reservoir and not right next to the heater.

Now to drill the through holes for mounting and dress it up a bit. More to come....