Barrel Slug Diameters

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Tazman1602

Re: Barrel Slug Diameters

Post by Tazman1602 »

GAS CHECK! That's a GREAT IDEA!!

Art
MT Gianni wrote:Years ago Veral Smith said to use a light oil and a heavy hammer. That advice has always worked for me. I use a cold steel rod wrapped with elec tape every 6"-8" as a driver and invert a gas check between the sinker and the rod. I don't consider WD-40 an oil so use 3 in 1 or a patch soaked in ATF. Once the sinker is just inside the bore I have a 6" short rod i use to go that far then drive it through with a 30" rod. Just a few blows with a 4 lb hammer will send things down the bore without causing a jam. A 12 oz hammer can cause things to stick to the sides of the bbl creating a real mess. The gas check keeps the rod from being driven into the sinker. My set up cost $7-$8 and has done dozens of guns.
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Could a person use a muzzleloader ramrod? I have an aftermarket brass muzzleloader ramrod I used to seat 485gr .50cal lead slugs during my brief smoke pole career. I still have the tip used to push the bullet and not deform the nose.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

A lot would depend on caliber. I would not like to see a ramrod split and I have broken a few off muzzeloading. It might work well but it might not either. It is just something I have never tried. Never mind I just read brass rod. I have always used hickory.
Last edited by MT Gianni on 21 Nov 2012 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

So how do I make sure I have pure lead sinkers? I picked up a bag of sinkers at WalMart made by Water Gremlin. They have a lead warning on the package but don't state anywhere that it is pure lead. What brand are you using?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Without a statement of "pure lead" or without a BHN tester, it is an unknown. It is a good sign that the lead warning is on the package. Personally, I think you are good to go.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Thanks RD. I couldn't sleep this morning so I pulled out my .45-70 Marlin and just tapped lightly a couple times on the sinker with a small hammer. The end of the sinker was flattening out pretty quickly and created a driving band like ring on the sinker where it meets the bore. It looks pretty soft. My thumbnail makes an impression easily. I can't do that on my cast bullets.

Jeff
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:Thanks RD. I couldn't sleep this morning so I pulled out my .45-70 Marlin and just tapped lightly a couple times on the sinker with a small hammer. The end of the sinker was flattening out pretty quickly and created a driving band like ring on the sinker where it meets the bore. It looks pretty soft. My thumbnail makes an impression easily. I can't do that on my cast bullets.
Good work, that is using the nog'in!
Michael
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

My 357 bought within the last month slugged @ .3555". It went with only hand pressure when started then pushed through with one tap just above the chamber. There may be some throat constriction but not much. I am still too busy to do a cerrosafe chamber cast but will if it doesn't shoot to my satisfaction.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just measured my RG3030 and added it to the list in the opening post. It is at the exact SAAMI spec .3000/.3080. Will get the 454 Casull done in a day or two and add it.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Just measured my RG3030 and added it to the list in the opening post. It is at the exact SAAMI spec .3000/.3080. Will get the 454 Casull done in a day or two and add it.
I have a quick question RD in regards to the 45-70 Government. If the Rossi Rio Grande 45-70 barrel slug size - .4500/.4570 how should a bullet at .459 work or should it be taken down to .458 using those numbers?
Joe