Gas Checks

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Gas Checks

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Anybody have an idea why Lyman gas checks are so much higher than Hornady? I've been shopping the various sites and it seem like Lyman are any where from 6 to 12 bucks more than Hornady when they have both.

Anybody know of a cheap source for gas checks? I've checked most of the usual suspects and 45 cal are 36 to 42 a thousand.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Gas Checks

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Hey Curt, hope this helps

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gas-checks

Looks like a range from $24 Aluminum to $36 copper per thousand, free shipping, out of Spartanburg, SC
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Anybody have an idea why Lyman gas checks are so much higher than Hornady? I've been shopping the various sites and it seem like Lyman are any where from 6 to 12 bucks more than Hornady when they have both.
It is because the Lyman checks are Hornady checks sold through Lyman. Lyman no longer makes check. The checks go from Hornady, to Lyman, to a Lyman retailer. They are also the crimp or snap style that Hornady makes not the old slip fit that Lyman made.

The scary part to me is that Hornady has only one machine cranking out the checks. If that goes down? In 2013 when I looked and really expanding my mold business from a middleman to a manufacturer, this is what machine that I looked at. In that there are no commercial machines readily available, it would be a special built that would have took a quarter of a million dollars!
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Look up Gator Checks. Also, look at maybe making your own on either a Freechex or Pat Marlins Checkmaker. I have a Checkmaker and another on the way. Mine are the plain base models where I use soda can aluminum.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks, guys, that helps. Quarter million and I bet that didn't include any dies. Back when Dayton was a fairly large machining center i knew a number of tool and dies people and back then even a simple set of dies and or punches could run in excess of 100 grand.

I need to delve deeper into to the home maker machines and see if I can justify the cost. Trouble is I'd need 22, 25, 264, 7mm 8mm 30 458 and that's just the rifles plus a pistol or 2. I don't shoot some of them very often and probably have enough of some on hand.

I do like the idea of recycling pop cans. How do the aluminum checks compare to the gilding metal ones?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I will say there is quite a difference in the checks made buy a Pat Marlins tool and a Freechex tool. Freechex tools make a slip fit and they seem to all have a small cookie bite on the edge. I get that the tool punches out checks as fast as you can feed them since they are one punch and done. The Pat Marlins tool requires you to first punch a disk and then form the disk into something like a bottle cap. BUT... it looking like a bottle cap seems to make it grab hold to the base once it's fit to the base.

And the plain base seems to work just as well as a traditional check. It's like the best of both worlds.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I will say there is quite a difference in the checks made buy a Pat Marlins tool and a Freechex tool. Freechex tools make a slip fit and they seem to all have a small cookie bite on the edge. I get that the tool punches out checks as fast as you can feed them since they are one punch and done. The Pat Marlins tool requires you to first punch a disk and then form the disk into something like a bottle cap. BUT... it looking like a bottle cap seems to make it grab hold to the base once it's fit to the base.

And the plain base seems to work just as well as a traditional check. It's like the best of both worlds.
Max, thanks for sharing this. This is just one more tool and reason to become more self sufficient while casting your own lead. Ive got to sell something. Ive got a Sako i need to pull out of the safe and consider selling it to pay for a set up in casting.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

Contact info for Gator Checks. If not allowed, take it down. Prices may not be current.

“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I took another tack on the gas check issue as I think I would quit casting if I had to make my own. Let me back up a bit. I really don't enjoy casting as much as I enjoy reloading. Casting is a means to an end for me. I just don't enjoy the task. I think cutting the volume of gas checks that I consume each year would send me over the edge.

What I did is sit down and forecast my needs through age 80 and bought them. I would only buy them on sale or from horders that were trying to increase their cash flow at their loss. Over the Obama years I've met my lifetime needs.

Consider the value of copper. My reloading software keeps track of inventory and cost so I just updated the current "box" cost of the various checks I have in stock and my inventory value has increased a bit over $300. Hornady could quit making them and I would keep shooting them without thinking about tomorrow. If I croak, my wife would realize a noticeable, if not a considerable, gain over the money spent on inventory.

I didn't eat the elephant in one sitting, I took a bite once in awhile. My point here is a couple of things. If you are going to cut your own, are you going to enjoy it or is it going curtail your shooting? I offer this advice to guys that want to talk to me about getting into casting especially someone who shoots a lot. Then the next thing to consider are the materials. If you shoot copper, now is the time to buy whether you are going to cut your own or use store bought. Even if you buy the dies, start buying the copper to feed them as who knows if you are going to be able to get the material down the road.

The last 8 years where a real wake up call for me in that I shoot a lot and shoot a large number of cartridges. I applied the same considerations to all my components over a near 8 year period and it has really paid off.
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If I would invest the time and money into a proper setup for making the checks I don't think I would mind making them. Even the soda cans I cut up could be done better. Right now I just cut them with scissors but if I would just buy a heavy duty enough paper cutter with the side chopper I could make the strips of aluminum much faster. If I wanted to I could also just buy either copper or aluminum spools ready to just feed through like I'm my own little factory. So it can be done with ease and speed, it just depends if you want to put in the money and effort. I don't mind the effort but this hobby is nickel and diming me to death lately.