RG 30-30 cast bullets and mold

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RG 30-30 cast bullets and mold

Post by Ranch Dog »

tnaz wrote:Are you still selling molds?
Nope.

Unfortunately, Lee doesn't see a thing that will help you with the 30-30 Win. All their designs for the 30-30 Win are .309" bullets. Just not a good enough fit IMHO. The have some .311" offerings but those designs sever other cartridges and the nose profile is too short for the required throat fit.

That means that you would need to move on the Lyman, NOE or another which makes the ebay mold seem like a reasonable value. That mold with .311" Lube & Size Kit plus Ed's Tumble Lube formula would be a good place to start.

What is the intended purpose of all this; hunting, paper, plinking? Just curious.
Michael
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Hunting and plinking.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

tnaz wrote:Hunting and plinking.
What brand reloading dies will you be using?
Michael
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Lees
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

tnaz wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
tnaz wrote:Hunting and plinking.
What brand reloading dies will you be using?
Lees
If you are looking to keep things as simple as possible, I would go with the This would get you started well I think. The links are good. The L&S Kit plus ExExp Plug are through Titan Reloading, that would combine shipping on those and they sell at good prices.

The ExExp plug allow the bullets to seat without the excessive runout associated with a flair die. It will be important to lube the inside of the case neck before sizing. The Lee sizing lube works well as others. There are other expander die options but I'm trying to keep it simple for you as that is what plain base bullets are about. The NOE tool will remove any burs off the base of the bullet left over from casting and apply a neat chamber that will also aid bullet seating without runout.

From there it is a matter of getting your alloy & casting technique right. Read up on the lube method. In that this isn't a tumble lube bullet you will need to work at filling the lube band. I would size them after each coat as that will pack lube into the band. Ben's formula is fast in both applying and drying.

I've also run an estimate against all the powders available in the US and I believe H4198 is going to be by far the best for your application. I won't offer a load right now, that will wait for obtaining an actual bullet length and cartridge overall length, but it delivers the greatest case fill 72%, greatest by far, right on a max velocity (1900 FPS) and near max pressure (27.5 KPSI).

Heck, all this almost makes me want to buy the plain base bullet!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Heck, all this almost makes me want to buy the plain base bullet!
What the heck, I did. Just so I can test it as well.
Michael
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Heck, all this almost makes me want to buy the plain base bullet!
What the heck, I did. Just so I can test it as well.
I was typing the same time you were and my post went to la la land I guess. I was going to buy the one with the gas check and try it with out and if no leading good to go. If leading then gas check it.

What do you think? Is there really a need to go faster? I know I want be shooting over 100-150 yds where I hunt, to thick.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

tnaz wrote:I was typing the same time you were and my post went to la la land I guess. I was going to buy the one with the gas check and try it with out and if no leading good to go. If leading then gas check it.
I do think that you set yourself up for failure by shooting a gas checked bullet without the check. The gas check shank is under diameter and with no ability to seal seal the groove diameter of the barrel. The combustion gases can have their way with the bullet.
What do you think? Is there really a need to go faster? I know I want be shooting over 100-150 yds where I hunt, to thick.
I do think there is the need to go as fast as the cartridge will allow. I want the meplat to do as much damage as possible and the only way it can do it is with velocity. I hear of others experience of hunting with a .30 caliber cast and only seeing a pencil hole punched through a critter. My experience of shooting at jacketed bullet velocity with a large meplat (at least 72%) is see at least a .9" hole cut through the critter.

I don't see me hunting with this plain base bullet, just messing around with it.
Michael
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Thanks for all the help and input,

Terry
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Well, my mold just showed up. May just cast some today... Wife brought home a toaster oven from one of the second hand store so may try Powder Coating some???