Casting .357 mag Bullets

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
LeicesterChris

Casting .357 mag Bullets

Post by LeicesterChris »

Hi all

Having recently bought my first R92 Im now getting into reloading. The rifle came with several hundred bullets to keep me going, however I was wondering if anyone knew the best mold for casting my own? I already cast conical bullets for my Ruger Old Army so know my way around the process.

I would be using the bullets for plinking and range shooting, not hunting. Possibly for competitions in the future too. So Im guessing a round nosed bullet would be the best all-rounder?

Thanks everyone

Chris
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Casting .357 mag Bullets

Post by akuser47 »

Just to help support the site and because he will chime in eventaully in this info here is a link to ranch dogs store and his .357 molds
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... cts_id=124
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's it. My experience with the bullet is in the Marlin 1894. I have customers using it in the 92 but I don't know if they participate here. Looking for a 92, but I haven't found one to my liking yet.
Michael
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I just recently got a new M92 stainless in 357 . I have been reloading for 357 for about 40 years now . I have several molds including the recently purchased 358175 RD mold . Prior to receiving the RD mold I cast some bullets to try in the M92 from molds I already had . I used a older Lyman mold and a Lee 6 cavity mold from a "Group purchase " from "Cast Boolits forum " from several years ago The Lee mold is VERY similar to the RD mold but it is a plain base and not a GC design . The bullets were sized in the LEE 358 Diameter sizer . and lubed with Lee LA. Bullets loaded into PMC cases had a very hard time chambering in MY M92 . Rounds seem to hang up gong into the chamber due to the case bulging and making the round "too fat " to chamber easily . PUSHING the lever managed to chamber the rounds and they fired fine . Same bullets loaded into Remington Cases chambered easily and Winchester and Older cases marked S&W chambered "Tight" but went in without any "Pushing ". Accuracy was fine but not what I expected
I BELIEVE that the tight cases may be "Re-sizing" the bullets more and making them too small. I have ordered and just received 100 cases from Starline and HOPE it may be easier on the bullets . Starline brass solved a similar problem for me a few years ago in the 38/55 Win rifles I had .
ONE of the reasons I got the 357 Model is the amount of brass and bullets I have already for the cal . (Probably about 9000 357 Brass) SO was not anticipating buying any brass IF it solves my problem , though , Ill buy more Starline brass.
Just some thoughts on the cast bullet idea .
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I like the design of the RD 357-175 bullet, but it's a bit heavy for my liking. 158gr is about as heavy as I go in a 357.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Moofy07

Post by Moofy07 »

As you mentioned you only want a bullet for target and plinking, why not try the Lee 125grFP, the mold is cheap and you don't need a gas check.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Hey Deaddoc,

Did you find the issue with this? I am running into the exact same thing with my 92. Got a lot of molds for .38 and all of my brass is new starline but my sizer is .359 which may be part of the issue.

Like you said, some of the bullets were like they were too large for that chamber throat itself. Geez I love messing around and solving these problems! Please let me know if you learned anything.

Art
deaddoc4444 wrote:I just recently got a new M92 stainless in 357 . I have been reloading for 357 for about 40 years now . I have several molds including the recently purchased 358175 RD mold . Prior to receiving the RD mold I cast some bullets to try in the M92 from molds I already had . I used a older Lyman mold and a Lee 6 cavity mold from a "Group purchase " from "Cast Boolits forum " from several years ago The Lee mold is VERY similar to the RD mold but it is a plain base and not a GC design . The bullets were sized in the LEE 358 Diameter sizer . and lubed with Lee LA. Bullets loaded into PMC cases had a very hard time chambering in MY M92 . Rounds seem to hang up gong into the chamber due to the case bulging and making the round "too fat " to chamber easily . PUSHING the lever managed to chamber the rounds and they fired fine . Same bullets loaded into Remington Cases chambered easily and Winchester and Older cases marked S&W chambered "Tight" but went in without any "Pushing ". Accuracy was fine but not what I expected
I BELIEVE that the tight cases may be "Re-sizing" the bullets more and making them too small. I have ordered and just received 100 cases from Starline and HOPE it may be easier on the bullets . Starline brass solved a similar problem for me a few years ago in the 38/55 Win rifles I had .
ONE of the reasons I got the 357 Model is the amount of brass and bullets I have already for the cal . (Probably about 9000 357 Brass) SO was not anticipating buying any brass IF it solves my problem , though , Ill buy more Starline brass.
Just some thoughts on the cast bullet idea .
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

well i got a mold that would fill the bill for two rifle's, it's the 359-190 that i got on a group buy over at cast boolits. it's the same as RD's design, but has regular lube grooves. it is kinda big for a 38/357, but man it work's. it'll ring steel plates with authority. it's also wonderful in my 35 Rem. :)
outfishing13

Post by outfishing13 »

I also have a Rossi 92 and have now shot around a 1,000 rounds though it. Since I am a reloader, I didn't even buy any factory ammo, but went straight to reloading. This is what I learned.

I bought the 2 cavity Lee RF 125 gr mold. It works great and makes nice bullets. Just size them in the Lee 358 sizer and tumble lube them with Lee liquid Alox. Seat bullets to 1.570 and they will cycle through just fine.

Then I bought a 6 cavity Lee RF 125 gr mold so I could make them faster. This mold is just a little different than the 2 cavity mold. The crimp groove was positioned just a little closer to the tip of the bullet. I also size these with the 358 lee sizer and tumble lube them, but I can seat them a little shorter to about 1.560 - 1.550. That makes a big difference in chambering them. 13-15 grains of 2400 or IMR 4227 makes a nice round with plenty of velocity.

I use the 2 cavity mold now, just for 38 special casings, which cycle through very smoothly and save the 6 cavity mold for the 357 mag casings. I use the 38 special with 3.5 gr of Red Dot for low velocity rounds for shooting rabbits. Up to 50 yards they are very accurate and do a great job. The report is a little louder than a 22. 4 grains Trail Boss is great too.

I really like the Lee molds. I got the impression that my 2 cavity mold may have been new old stock, but now the 2 and 6 cavity molds are the same. In an hour you can cast several hundred bullets with a 2 cavity mold. In an hour with the 6 cavity you'll have a thousand or more.

I have been really pleased with the Lee Liquid Alox. Use a clean plastic jar like a mayo or peanut butter jar to put them in, add a little alox and roll them around and let them dry out. Works like a charm. A 4 oz bottle of LLA will lube 2-3 thousand bullets or more.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Thanks so much for that post, I have the Lee 125 grain 6-banger coming to try out and am working with Tom at Accurate Molds to come up with a proper nose length for this gun. Have been looking in the 125-140 grain range and he has a few that I think will work just fine.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt