There's a first time for everything

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

There's a first time for everything

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

yesterday was mostly raining and ugly and I had all the stuff to put together some Emmert's boolit lube. So mixed up my second batch of homemade boolit lube. Did the measuring by weight 16oz beeswax, 12oz of plain Crisco, 1.5ox grape seed oil and 1.5oz of lanolin oil. By the way in answer to an earlier question I had the 16oz of solid beeswax was close enough to 16oz of liquid that for my purposes I wasn't going to argue. Anyway, after about an hour of mixing, melting and STIRRING I had just about 32oz (liquid) of lube.

I let it cool while we ran errands and then last night tried something else I'd never done and pan lube some test boolits from the Lee mold that I bought to go with the 45-70. Went rather well, picture attached I hope.
boolits_Lee457405.jpg
I'm going to try these with black powder in the Wizard. Will do the first loads as cast.

Make smoke,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: There's a first time for everything

Post by Ranch Dog »

They are pretty looking bullets! Looking forward to the report!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: There's a first time for everything

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Ran the boolit as cast at .460 over 4 charges of Goex 2Fg - 62.5, 65.4, 66.3 and 68.0, .06 printed ABS wad and a commercial lubed felt, compression as needed to keep the fat nose just engaging the rifling. All shot okay starting at about 3 inches at 50 yards and going down to under 2 but over 1.5. Wiped between shots and no leading apparent after the 20 rounds. Going to through some more together using the 68 grains but with the boolit resized to .459 in a Lee sizer and a veg wad instead of the abs. With this set up the boolit is seated with the narrow driving band in front of the crimp groove even with e case mouth, I tapper crimp so don't really use the crimp groove and when I lube this latest batch I'll fill it with lube also.

Probably next week, this is my busy dog club week, board meeting, annual meeting and earth dog tests next week end that I chair and run. Crash Sunday and hopefully spend next week playing with things that go bang and

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image