Developing/Choosing a Hunting Bullet for a Win 30-30

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Developing/Choosing a Hunting Bullet for a Win 30-30

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:I wonder why these manufacturers cut the chambers like this?
My guess is that Ruger tailored it to the 122-grain bullet. The 7.62X39 has all the freebore and leade features in the chamber to provide plenty of space to always insure reliability. It will chamber no matter what. That leaves a lot of space around the small, more common bullet. I think Ruger might be trying to make the accuracy more acceptable by reducing the unsupported travel.
klr wrote:It's been years since I had a Mini 14. How is the barrel held in place?
It is threaded into the receiver.
klr wrote:I wonder if you could get/make a pull through style reamer to work?
I would rather go ahead and take it apart and work with the floating pilot chamber reamer. It needs a chamber reamer over a throating reamer so the features of the step are completed.

I drew up what it should look like when finished.

Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:I wonder why these manufacturers cut the chambers like this?
My guess is that Ruger tailored it to the 122-grain bullet. The 7.62X39 has all the freebore and leade features in the chamber to provide plenty of space to always insure reliability. It will chamber no matter what. That leaves a lot of space around the small, more common bullet. I think Ruger might be trying to make the accuracy more acceptable by reducing the unsupported travel.
klr wrote:It's been years since I had a Mini 14. How is the barrel held in place?
It is threaded into the receiver.
klr wrote:I wonder if you could get/make a pull through style reamer to work?
I would rather go ahead and take it apart and work with the floating pilot chamber reamer. It needs a chamber reamer over a throating reamer so the features of the step are completed.

I drew up what it should look like when finished.

i wonder if you shot your design bullet out of the existing barrel with no leade, etc how much additional pressure and other items would be affected, accuracy, leading, etc?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If RD'S design was at least copper coated I think there would be even more possibilities. But stand alone as lead it looks great with a powder coat or copper coat would be sweet to push it faster.
I'm not an expert in lead I'm used to copper coated or powder coated. This is only an assumption as my experience with lead bullets is little.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:i wonder if you shot your design bullet out of the existing barrel with no leade, etc how much additional pressure and other items would be affected, accuracy, leading, etc?

In that I use QuickLoad to develop all my loads, pressure isn't an issue as I simply calculate what the effect of the cartridge being .075 shorter is.

The real cost of shooting the short OAL is the effect of combustion on the bullet body left exposed aft of the case neck. At the shot, etching starts immediately to destroy the integrity of the alloy. This bullet out the barrel at 48.0 KPSI in the Mini-30 produces minute of 6" gong at best at 50 yards. The same bullet seated in a SAAMI spec chamber on my Mini-Mauser is a 1.5 MOA bullet at 100 yards.

I'm up at an odd hour of the morning because I just shot a nice hog that was tearing up yard. My dad could see them out in my yard, so he called. The Mini Mauser did the trick at about 50 yards with my TLC313-150-RF! I will post some pictures when I get back up and its daylight.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Nice shooting. That has to be the most efficient cartridge design ever, and probably most popular in the world.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

And you are defining the heavy bullet usage for it also
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 7.62x39 is simply the 30-30 Win in a bottle necked cartridge. As a bullet caster and handloader, I can make it do anything the 30-30 Win can. It is an excellent choice for those that dream of pushing lead out of a Rem 788 or Sav 340. The Zatava M85 is great rifle for this.

This Zatava is making me crazy...
pix597815225.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad the ol russian cartridge is getting some new bullet designs.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I have a 10" Tc contender in 7.62x39. It is about the same as 30 herret though.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

That Zastava looks like a sweet little gun. I'd love to have one of those mini-Mausers in 7.62x39. I can't afford it at the moment, but the CZ527 looks like a great little rifle too.

Also thought about building one on a Savage action...