RD cast bullet for the 308 Win?

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: RD cast bullet for the 308 Win?

Post by klr »

Good thinking, RD. Instead of wasting a lot of time and money experimenting with different molds, you just design something that works for your gun. I spent a lot of time modding a Lee mold to work in my "big bore" Mosin. It was fun the first time, and I now have a tack-driver, but I don't want to repeat that process for each new gun I get.

Have you ever tried Accurate Molds? They do custom work and you could get a 5 cavity Al mold for less than the cost of the Lee set up fee.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Have you ever tried Accurate Molds? They do custom work and you could get a 5 cavity Al mold for less than the cost of the Lee set up fee.
No, I've worked only with Lee but will start doing some work with NOE.
Michael
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I have molds of your RD bullets from both NOE and Accurate, and although I like both mold makers, I prefer Accurate since he does your RD bullets with the tumble lube grooves just like you designed them to be.

Will
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

My Savage model 10 arrived today :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mine did as well. Been tied up with other projects on the place but spend what time I can on the design. I think about it and updated to my 300 Savage and 7.62X39 bullets quite a bit and probably will run them through NOE at the same times.

Here is where I'm at on the 308 Win. What I have left to do is some work with the bullet body, inside the case neck stuff. As a standard I'm using brass that has been sized with the Lee Pacesetter dies and trimmed with the Lee case trimmer. The Pacesetter dies have closer tolerances than other full length dies at .006" off the chamber vs. the normal .008". The brass length is determined by the Lee Case Trimmer with a "Factory" Crimp applied. More than anything, that is what I use and what I test with. This chamber drawing is with the SAAMI cartridge (which is a myth) and the standard crimp so it is not final so it will be changed and it might change the bullet features a bit (the tail end is a bit long so as it is trimmed something must be added to the nose to keep the weight constant).

The updated bullet, the third revision.

All the stability projections look like it is going to fly true. At 48.0K PSI (water quenched wheel weights/2% tin) you should see 2535 FPS. With water quenched 50/50 (Linotype/Wheel weights), 2625 FPS.

Getting there but still studying it as I can.
Michael
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Wow - very impressive :)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks real good.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I noticed that Savage is introducing a Model 11 Scout. It looks to take care of all the additions that the customers hoped to see to the 10 FCM Scout that was discontinued at the end of 2013. Those changes would be the addition of a third sling swivel, adjustable cheek piece, threaded barrel, and large capacity magazines.
savage11_scout.jpg
This 308 Win is going to be on my buy list for 2015. Haven't found any place that is listing it but will watch so that I can get the email notices in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Wow, I wish I would have known earlier. That was basically what I wanted: a magazine based, short & threaded barrel 308 rifle. I settled with the Savage 10P-SR, which comes with the 18" heavy barrel, and threaded muzzle. From my research, this is a police sniper model overrun, ready for scope/suppressor.

Hard to see in the picture, but mine does come with the 3x swivel studs, and a slightly more target oriented beavertail front stock:

Free floated from factory - nice:

By the way, I don't have any reloading dies for .308. Most reloading dies for the .308 appear to be designed around the FMJ type rounds, not necessarily cast bullets at .309-.311" diameter. What is a good starting set of reloading dies for this caliber riffle that includes the neck sizing, and the appropriate crimp for "fat" cast bullets?

Will
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use the Lee Dies. For the 308 Win I bought the Ultimate Die Seat. They have always worked for me.
Michael