Scored at the tire store today

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Scored at the tire store today

Post by donhuff »

I had not been buy there in a while, so the weights had piled up. They told me a dirt track car driver came by a few days earlier and wanted to BUY this lead. They told him no and ran him off, cause they save it for ME!

The owners son asked what I do with all that lead, and when I told him, he started showing me all his guns that he keeps in tool boxes in the shop! A 45 and a 40 and also had a 10mm in his truck......................I guess I need to load him up a couple hundred rounds since they are so nice to save me the weights.

When I get this melted down and cleaned up, I'm gonna mix it with those ingots in the pic. They are range scrap and are mostly soft. I also got these three ingots of Roto Metals superhard (70 lead and 30 antimony), and 2 lbs of pure tin nuggets..

Anybody ,RD? ever use this stuff before? Got any Ideas as to a good all purpose mix I could do with all this stuff?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scored at the tire store today

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:Anybody ,RD? ever use this stuff before? Got any Ideas as to a good all purpose mix I could do with all this stuff?
I haven't used super hard but have thought about it for one specific use and that is combining it with my standard mix (a Lyman #2 clone) to make it tougher for my R92 454 Casull. I have shot the water hardened Lyman #2, BHN 19, to 48.0K PSI but that is about all the pressure it can take. Actually I have so much mono and linotype that I want to figure the tougher alloy from it. In the future, I need to lean more on those two alloys to mix with the wheel weights for the #2.

What I try to do each seasons is rendered down to a year's worth of ingots, then determine the specific gravity1 of the year's batch and work it to Lyman #2 at each casting session with a known amount of tin/#8 shot. I work with the specific gravity of the base stock to bring it to a SG1 of 10.6829 (#2). The note explains how you obtain specific gravity.

[hr][/hr]1 From TMT's Precision Casting Alloy Calculator If you have a balance beam scale, it is fairly easy to determine the specific gravity of a chunk of alloy.

First, arrange a balance beam scale so that the sample may be suspended from the pan by a fine thread in such a manner
that a container of distilled water may be brought up under the sample to the point where the sample is just completely
immersed in the water.

Next, place the sample in the scale pan, without the thread, and carefully weigh the sample then record that weight and
label the value as SW (Sample Weight).

Next suspend the sample from the pan with the thread and record the combined weight of the sample and thread or wire
and label that value as DW (Dry Weight).

Now, bring a container of distilled water up under the sample until the sample is just immersed in the water and balance
the beam out and record that weight and label the value as WW (Wet Weight).

We can determine the specific gravity of the sample with this formula.

Specific Gravity = SW / ( DW - WW )

Simply stated. Subtract the Wet Weight from the Dry Weight and divide that difference into the Sample weight.

For instance a Lyman 40 Caliber Snover Bullet Cast from a 1/20 Tin/Lead alloy weighs 408.6 grains.

Suspended from the scale pan with some fine thread it weights 409.3 grains. Immersed in distilled water, the scale shows
372.3 grains.

409.3 - 372.3 = 37 grains

408.6 / 37 = 11.04324324 = The estimated specific gravity of the alloy.

The actual calculated specific gravity of 1/20 Tin/Lead alloy is 11.0433658. (within 0.05%)
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice haul around here shops are getting some kind of tax break by haveing certain companies recycle it. So it harder to get these days. Def. Good load
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

You can make some really hard stuff using lino. Where I use to live, there was an old printer that lived 1/4 mile down the road. I bought a lot of lino from him. He had melted down a lot of it to make his grandsons some weights for their barbells.

Now RD, you know that's to complicated for me to consider doing....finding the SG. I aint all that particular about my lead. I was pretty happy just using ole plain wheel weights. When I got this batch of range scrap, I thought I might try firming it up a little cause it's so soft. But that procedure above is just more effort than I want to put into it. Since I started powder coating, it seems that the alloy is just not that much of a factor anymore.

Anyway, I picked one of the hottest days we have had this summer to melt lead. I was sweating so bad that the wife brought me water and coke twice. I got em all cleaned up, but I'm gonna wait till another time when it's cooler to try blending all this stuff together.

Not too bad a yield from those two buckets. I don't fill the ingot mold all the way to the top. So my ingots average bout .8 lbs a piece. And that made 170 pounds. Plus I have to throw away all the clips and zinc and FE, probably 40 pounds worth of trash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70