Powder coating

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!

Powder coating

Post by 0369 »

After seeing Don Huff's powder coating thread(first time I'd seen pc bullets) I decided to give it a try. The results were good, so I decided to make some dedicated pc molds to use with Lee handles and sprue plates. The first one was a bust since I didn't have the "cutter" relieved enough and the chatter was terrible, but the second one turned out well, except for one small line from the boring bar half way up the nose. I wasn't planning on this one cycling in the 92 with the .380" meplat and long nose but the blocks I'm working on now are going to be for one that will work for revolvers and the 92.
I'd like to keep the meplat as wide as possible and the nose as long as I can so does anyone have a 260 to 280 grain bullet that feeds well with a wide meplat and still feeds that can share some dimensions? I could just experiment but that would be a lot of work and time with blocks wasted.

Here is the one that's done so far. No chance to test it yet.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Powder coating

Post by Ranch Dog »

Like looking "trash can" style bullet, would be heck on the hogs! What cartridge are you working with?
Michael

Post by 0369 »

RD, it's for a 45 Colt and unfortunately we don't have wild hogs here. If they shoot good I may have to make a barrel for one of the single shots.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

0369 wrote:RD, it's for a 45 Colt and unfortunately we don't have wild hogs here. If they shoot good I may have to make a barrel for one of the single shots.
Here is my TLC454-290-RF that I use in my 45 Colt. I do size it at .452" so that you can get an idea of the nose profile that is working for me. With it seated, the cartridge OAL is 1.60".

Michael

Post by 0369 »

Thanks RD. With your permission I'd like to copy that nose and length but eliminating the gas check and lube grooves. I wish I knew a formula to estimate weight without the grooves. If it works I'll send you a batch if you want to try them powder coated, and I'm going to be making some more blocks to do some experimenting for different guns with the CZ82 being next. I've made molds with lube grooves but they are a lot of work with small manual machines.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Looking good! Man that's a wide meplat.

I say just make the modded RD bullet mold, and then mill off the top of the mold till you get the weight right like you want. I cast some slugs, full length, and trim them on the lathe till I find out how much length to take off, then mill the mold blocks.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70

Post by 0369 »

Thanks Don, I never thought of trimming them in the lathe. I reference Accurate Mold's catalog to get in the ballpark,but it's amazing how much weight the lube grooves eliminate. With this style I've just been making reamers with the nose and first band and using the cross slide then a boring bar up to the crimp groove. So far is works out ok but I'm a hobby machinist with a lot to learn. As soon as I get DRO on the lathe I'll be set since having it on the mill is a lifesaver with backlash.
I just cut a .309" mold for my Swiss K31 for powder coating and will use the other cavity for either 8mm or a different 30.

Here's a picture of the meplat in a SAA replica:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good info
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

0369 wrote:Thanks RD. With your permission I'd like to copy that nose and length but eliminating the gas check and lube grooves.
No problem, copy away. Thanks for the bullet offer but I've gotten to the point where I'm very set with what I'm shooting.

Calculating the volume of the body is simply that of a cylinder. I've attached the Lee Precision Mold Design Assistance Sheet which has the various formulas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Post by 0369 »

Thanks again Ranch Dog. I can't believe I haven't seen the Lee mold design assistance yet. Very neat!