Rossi 92 cast for plinking

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
plinky56

Rossi 92 cast for plinking

Post by plinky56 »

Just starting my search for an accurate easy to cast and lube boolit for my new brazetech 20" .357 carbine and was wondering about the ranch dog tl-358-125-rf for it, and my gp-100. Like to plink both close up and long range with this boolit. If not a good choice, anyone have experience with a lee 358-125-rf? Can I tumble lube this non tl type boolit? By the way, my ruger loves 125 gr boolits and is accurate to 100 yds-way better than me! Do the 125 gr type of boolits shoot accurately to 100 yds or beyond? Loading info? Thanks ahead of time and if you know of this info elsewhere, please direct me to it.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 cast for plinking

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Hey welcome aboard Plinky!!!

I see your question did not get an answer or opinion. I have a Lee TL mold in a RN 158 Gr. Great little bullet for plinking. Should feed real nice in the 92.

With regard to non TL bullets. I don't TL my bullets anymore. Even the ones that are TL I dip each bullet one at a time in 100% Alox put them on a shop towel and put them in front of a fan for a day. Using this process fills the lube groves even on non TL bullets for me.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I would take that accurate Ruger load and plunk a few in the Rossi and see what they do. Do mind Cartridge Overall Length as you do not want to shove a couple into the gate only to realise they are too long to cycle.
I have found that between lever carbines and revolvers you can come up with a compromise round that is reasonable accurate in both. But I do not want to give anything up so I segregate brass to firearms and find the most accurate load for whatever bullet and stick with it. Ya just never know even while plinking away that a coyote or other varmit will not come poking along wondering about the rucas.
Personally I like to plink with my hunting weight bullet. I might back off the powder load alittle but I still like the feel of the same recoil all the time. I figure for the few grains more lead I am throwing I am far better prepared for the real deal one day farther on.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

I just cast a small batch (142 keepers) of the Ranchdog TL-358-100 for my .380 and plan to try some in light plinkers loads for my .357 Blackhawk also. cast of WW they drop at 101gr and .360", sized to .358 and tumbled with Recluse lube.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Howdy
Me I would try them as cast diameter into a fired case first. If they will fit it that fired case then I sure would not down size them any.
Lead needs every advantage possible to seal the gas behind the bullet starting in the throat area. Those are short stubby little things and are going to have to jump forward a ways to finally get to the rifling. You start squeezing them down the the nose will tilt and there goes accuracy.
Fill the throat and you are headed towards good accuracy.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I dont cast yet but 158 grain is as light as I like to go. I really like 180 grain thumpers the best. I buy my lead bullets so far. Keep us posted to what u find ur rifle likes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!