New NOE bullet wont cycle???

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

New NOE bullet wont cycle???

Post by donhuff »

So I got this new mold, and it drops these beautiful slugs by the hands-full (5) at a time. And unlike my old Lyman 454424 mold that barely droped to .452, these are actually big enough that I can size them down to .452-.453, where my ruger likes them. The ruger is pretty old, got it around 1975 I think, and it did not have the usual problem that rugers tend to have with small cylinder throats. Right the opposite. These throats are huge at .455 and .456. So with the NOE dropping right at 455 I decided to try some larger bullets and see if filling the throats would make any difference. I cast up a bunch and sized them to .453 then after powder coating they were right on .455, and that's what I loaded them at. They shot bout the same as .452s do, so no benefit there.

BUT, I also took my R92/45C with me to the range, and loaded it up and jacked one into the chamber..........it did not want to go! I double clutched it and it slid in but was not happy about it. I figured it was a little long or something, so I looked at some of the other rounds in the box and sure nuff, they were not seated ALL the way down and bumping the back of the front driving band. I'll fix that at the house if I have any left over, was what I thought. NOPE, the second one absolutely would not go in. It got to the chamber mouth, and before it could raise the rim, it jammed tight. It's so embarrassing to have to take my pocket knife and fiddle with a round to get it out. Cause the range PLO is always watching me, waiting for me to finish a magazine full. So he can talk my ears off till I get it reloaded, and sit back down to shoot the next string. I'm usually still nodding and answering him till I let go with the first one, before he figures out that I'm busy! The next round did the same thing.

They don't look to be "that" much longer. So now I'm gonna have to figure out what's going on with these rounds. I'm thinking that the length is not SO bad as to stop it. But thinking that the larger diameter is throwing off the guns ability to feed into the chamber. It's only a couple of thousands but added to the length, that might be all it takes. I'm going to try shorting a few by pushing the bullet in a little and see how that goes first. Then I'll try sizing down a few and loading them just as long to see where that gets me. I would like to know if length or diameter is causing the problem. BTW, if I drop a round into the chamber without going through the action. It drops right in, so it's not a tight chamber problem. I'll be back later with the results.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New NOE bullet wont cycle???

Post by Ranch Dog »

When bullet is "fat" all the features of the bullet are fat, it is very rare for just the greater diameter to be affected. A fat bullet is fat all around; front band, bore rider (if present), ogive, and metplat. You are only able to size the greater diameter, not these features. My suspect is the ogive, a fat bullet effects the radius and it will be less than what was spec'd for the design. The oversized radius is hanging up on the carbine's throat.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

please read my other post
NOE bullet WILL cycle!! http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2254
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin