Can You Tell Me About This Mold ?

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
morayman

Can You Tell Me About This Mold ?

Post by morayman »

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-m ... 90375.html
I'm thinking about getting a mold for my 45-70.I cast for a bunch of other calibers I shoot and saw this hollow base mold.Haveing never cast HB bullits before I didn't know anything about this,is it good?,will it work good in my 45-70?,is there a better one? thanks for the help,morayman..............
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 27 Feb 2014 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to "Casting" Forum
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized
nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police
more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Can You Tell Me About This Mold ?

Post by donhuff »

Somethings kinda screwy with that web site. In my info, it does not show that the 450 is a hollow base.
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/ ... le-cavity/

450 is getting kinda heavy too. I shoot the Lee 457-405F and that is plenty heavy for me. A lot of folk use the 340 grain one with good success. RD makes a great 350g bullet available, and in stock, from NOE http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... cts_id=425

That 450 looks to have a very long nose section. I'm pretty sure it will give trouble with a Rio grande. Don't know if that is what you have. The 405 nose is all my Rio can handle....throat length wise.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Most data for lever action rifles limit the bullets to 405 grains and less.
The overall length for tube fed magazine rifles can be a problem with heavier bullets.

Single shot Sharps, Springfields, Rugers and other single shot rifles can accommodate heavier and longer bullets.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Archer wrote:Most data for lever action rifles limit the bullets to 405 grains and less.
The overall length for tube fed magazine rifles can be a problem with heavier bullets.

Single shot Sharps, Springfields, Rugers and other single shot rifles can accommodate heavier and longer bullets.
+1

Even some single shot rifles need to have the throat reamed to accommodate bullets of that size. I would keep my eye open on ebay for a new or well kept mold. There are other factors to consider as well when selecting a mold. What is the intent? Just punching paper or hunting. What velocities are you thinking about running it at? If you are looking for a full combat load you may consider getting a Gas Checked design?

Just food for thought..
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Tuco,
Good catch on the throat.
I was thinking that after I posted but hadn't gotten around to adding that info.
Especially if the gun is designed to fire current factory ammunition it is likely to be set up for bullets in the 300-405 grain class because that's about all the major ammunition manufacturers produce in .45-70 today.
morayman

Post by morayman »

I'm sorry,I forgot to mention that I have a single shot Wizard.Yes it's on the heavy side, I'm looking more for accuracy on paper,I don't hunt,but I love to target shoot.morayman............
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Thanks Arch!!!! I have monents where I am normal every now and than...... :lol:

Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

For punching paper the 350 range should serve you well. I bet it would even do fine with the 405 range. One thing about this caliber is in the heaver weight bullets it has a well deserved reputation to punish on both ends of the gun.... :lol: . I did some looking around to see what pressure range this specific rifle was listed for and could not really find much other than opinions. I really wish they would list that little but very important data point.

I would think if you kept your loads to no more than 35K you will be fine. I read a very good article from Garrett Cartridges that talks about pressure and the 45-70. I will list a link to that article at the end. If you want I would be more than happy to send you some 350-GC bullets I have molded for you to try. If you are interested just send me a PM and I will get them in the mail to you.

Another thing I learned the hard way was always meassure the overall length of your brass and make sure it is in spec's. I use a specific brand of brass I order direct from the maker. I think they make some of the best brass around. But I found their 45-70 brass to be over max length brand new. I check and trim all my brass new or not.

Garrett article: http://www.garrettcartridges.com/chamberpressure.html

morayman

Post by morayman »

Thanks for the info Tuco.I had bought some 350 gr. both cast and jacketed to try out,not too many as I wanted to see how they would shoot.I also bought some 485 gr. pointed cast bullets to try when I feel manly enough.I appriciate the offer for the 350's,but since I already have some I should be able to tell how they'll do with those.One of the things I didn't mention was overall length.I had wondered about that and didn't know if it was something to watch for or not.I was going to get a Lee Quick Trim die for the 45-70 since I use it for some of the other calibers I load for but I don't have one yet.I'll have to confess this is the slowest to shoot gun I've ever owned,finding the components and all and I still haven't shot it!Thanks Again ,morayman........
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

The Lee quick trim is what I use on the 45-70 and it does a nice job. Yea the single shot rifles are not going to burn up your stock of ammo at the bench but I am coming to realize that is a good thing. Take your time and enjoy yourself without breaking the bank..... :lol:

I have my eye on a H&R Buffalo Classic..... It can handle the Ruger 1 loads but what for? The 45-70 trapdoor loads dropped everything in front of it. Keep us posted on your findings with the wizard!!