Fingers crossed for a range trip

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Fingers crossed for a range trip

Post by Steelbanger »

For the first time since last winter I have cast some bullets. Last week I spent a few hours preparing and casting from two moulds. One is RD's new 30 cal for the 30-30 and the other I used is also an RD mould, a 38-55 235 gr. FN.The 30 cal. is brand new so basically the first use is a shakedown to learn its little nuances. In the end I had a few hundred bullets ready to size, load and shoot!

Now for the good news. Our cold snap is supposed to give us a bit of relief for the weekend so I plan on testing these bullets on Friday afternoon when we're supposed to hit 38º. At that temp, with no wind, I could probably shoot all day but once that wind starts I begin to drip from my nose & eyes, feet freeze up and fingers become non-functional. Today I loaded 40 rounds and will be taking a few rifles chambered for the 30-30. Hope that weatherman is right.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Fingers crossed for a range trip

Post by akuser47 »

Good get some range time keep us posted I haven't had time for a long while so hoping soon I can take a break from work and get some range time I have three project guns I haven't even gotten a chance to test and shoot them.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Hope your weatherman is right. When I lived in PA most could not predict yesterdays weather.... :lol: With hunting season over I am looking forward to getting some shooting time in. Been sick for the last week and a half and just can't seem to shake it.

Give it hell steelbanger hope you have a great day at the range!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Hope your weatherman is right. When I lived in PA most could not predict yesterdays weather.... :lol: With hunting season over I am looking forward to getting some shooting time in. Been sick for the last week and a half and just can't seem to shake it.

Give it hell steelbanger hope you have a great day at the range!!
Hey I tell you one thing b complex helps give me enrgy and helps me get past cold bugs and such may want to add it to your vitamine routine just saying. I live on the road more than not cannot afford to be sick and this trick save me.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I will give it a try!! Thanks
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck Frank, hope the weather holds up.

That's what the temperature was on my range today, put a dozen of my TLC460-425-RFs through my RG4570. Going nilgai hunting Friday in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, supposed to be in the mid seventies.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good luck Rd keep us posted to how your hunts go we love to hear your ranch stories. I look forward to all range an hunt results to come. +corn
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

We've had a slight, positive change in the weather. Yesterday morning it was -1.7º and today it's +1.6º. I hope it really climbs by tomorrow.

Michael, I hope you find one this trip. I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for bullet results.

I recently read of two Texas hunters that each killed a nilgai on a mud flat and had a 600 yard drag. I can only imagine the fun. Good luck.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Steelbanger wrote: I recently read of two Texas hunters that each killed a nilgai on a mud flat and had a 600 yard drag. I can only imagine the fun.
With the suped-up ++P++ 45 LC ammo RD loads the Nilgai will probably hit the ground like a big pile of hamburger. :mrgreen: +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:With the suped-up ++P++ 45 LC ammo RD loads the Nilgai will probably hit the ground like a big pile of hamburger. :mrgreen: +corn
Haah, the 454 Casull isn't going. I had ordered a saddle ring for the rifle but it hasn't come in so with no way to sling the rifle, it must stay home. I also do not what to rush the saddle ringing of this carbine, need to take it slow. May be next year.
Michael