Any tips for accurate cast bullets

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
mcnurlenj

Any tips for accurate cast bullets

Post by mcnurlenj »

I have been shooting on with cast 158 SWC and 2400 and can't seem to get very good accuracy. Hornady 158 XTPs seem to group great, but cast, not so much. I have tried 3 kinds of 158 SWC the last ones were Oregon trail. They all cycle ok, just don't shoot strait. I'm lucky, so far everything cycles well :D . An. y tips would be appreciated.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Any tips for accurate cast bullets

Post by ironhead7544 »

Cast bullets need to be sized to the bore. .001 or .002 bigger seems to be about right.

The best way to get your bore size that I have found is to use the special slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Check the website for details.

Or just get some Ranch Dog bullets from Carolina Cast.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The throat diameter matters as much as or more than the bore diameter. It may be .001 over bore diameter, but if the throat diameter is still too large, you'll get gas cutting and leading happening before the bullet is able to obturate and seal the gas behind it.

So if going .001 or .002 over bore diameter does not give better accuracy, keep going bigger. You need to ensure that the bullet is small enough in diameter to fit in a case fired in the weapon, and that's effectively the upper limit on diameter.

You also want to match the hardness of the lead to the pressure of the cartridge to again allow the bullet to obturate effectively.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Some say that they have had trouble with the 158g weight and the slow twist of the Rossi. Then others say no problem(?). I'm still working with mine but have settled in on one load that is doing super good in the 92 and also in my blackhawk revolver. I am using IMR 800X powder since I could not find Unique last time I ran out, and the 800 was available. I did not like it at first, but now that I'm more familiar with it, I like it a lot. I use 8.6g of powder and an old 9mm bullet mold from Lyman. It's the 356634 TC, at a claimed 130g but mine drop at 138-140g. It is a heavy for the 9mm and really aimed more at the 38 super as this was it's standard weight. I have shot it at paper some to get it dialed in but do most of my shooting at a 7x8 inch steel plate at 100yds. With the 92 I can usually make 8 hits within a minute, but if I try to get too fast, I start missing to the right side. I'm yanking the trigger. I had two guys comment yesterday about how accurate the GUN was! Then I shoot the same load in the ruger and get 4-5 hits per cylinder full.

But to your problem. Some say that 158 is on the verge of being to heavy for the slow twist in the r92 and they like lighter bullets like the 125g Lee. I know Mike in Peru recommends this bullet. And this is the main reason that I tried the 130g bullet that I have. Usually these guys are pushing them a little slower, like for a plinking load. That's what I was after but I wanted enough ummph so that you could tell it was a magnum. Since your using 2400, I assume that your are trying to go for higher velocity and maybe a hunting load? I looked at the Oregon bullet, and it appears to be a bevel base. Again, some say that they have trouble with those style bullets. I have some in .40 and .45 and have no trouble at all with them. One of my better loads in 45C/R92 is with a 225g BB TC bullet and 13.0 of 800X, and they go into the cases oh so easy. But most guys recommend that if shooting 158 grains and heavier, to push them pretty fast to stabilize them better, especially at 100+ yds. I have some lyman 358429 168g swc loaded in front of 13.5g of 2400 that I usually use in the ruger. That is a max load and you can tell it too. I shot a few of this load through the r92 yesterday and while I can hit the plate with it , I do miss a few more time with it than I do with the 130g bullet. But the ruger loves this load maybe because of the faster twist? While i'm talking about yesterday I need to mention that I tried a few rounds that I had loaded with Alliant 300MP and the 168g keith bullet. At 16.0 they were flat duds and barely made it out of the barrel. At 17.0 grains...HO LEE CHIT...they were screaming, and 18.0 seemed even better with no signs of pressure in the 92 and just a little bit of friction getting the cases out of the ruger. And I was using the same sight seting as the 800x load.

Like ironhead said. You need at least .001 over bore dia. and I do .002 over cause that's what the ruger likes and the r92 does not complain about it. I saw that the Oregon bullet sez they are .358, but have you miked one to be sure? Also I see that they have a 140 fp slug. That one looks almost identical to the lyman slug that I am using except that it has a crimp groove and mine does not. So I taper crimp just above the grease groove.

Also you could try a gas check. My rio 30-30 groups shrunk to nearly one third of the unchecked size after I tried a few loads with checks. And it does this with every powder I tried from 8.0 / 800x to 32.0 / 748.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I agree that it may be worth trying a gas check. Alloy and gas cutting issues aside, a gas check will provide a more consistent base that will help the bullet leave the muzzle more consistently with less upset from gas escaping unevenly around the bullet.

2400 is an interesting powder with cast bullets. I used it in a .30 carbine for awhile and noted that it would even on occasion separate a ring from the base of the jacket off of 110 gr FMJs, so it's potential to damage a lead bullet's base in a high pressure load is definitely there.

My preference with a cast bullet in a straight wall case, in situations where I don't need maximum velocity, is to use a faster burning powder that will come up to pressure quickly, expand the case and obturate the bullet before allowing much gas to escape past the bullet. It seems to prevent gas coming back in a lever gun as well as prevent leading.