your making me nervous!

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

your making me nervous!

Post by donhuff »

I shoot at a range that was constructed by the Corps of Engineers and is run by the Georgia Dept of natural resources.

Last week while shooting the officer that is responsible for the range, stopped in to look around. He does that almost everyday as he lives a couple of miles down the road, so he stops on his way home in the evenings.He's a nice young fellow that has gotten money for much needed repairs to the facility, and he enjoys shooting and reloading. So after the normal hellos and a little conversation with me and the 4-5 other guys there, shooting resumed. After a few volleys there was a break to check targets. I didn't go downrange to look, as I was giving a 20 oz plastic bottle on the 100yd bank, a workout. During the break, I ran a patch down the bore of my R92-357, then put a patch in the bolt area and stepped out into the sun to see how much lead, if any, was in there. Then did the same to my blackhawk 357 as I am using the same loads in both. Officer Russell walked over and said "what are you doing, you're making me nervous looking down those barrels". I looked at him and said "you don't shoot cast bullets do you"? He replied "nope". Then he looked at my box of empties and asked "you shoot all those today?" probably 3 or 4 hundred in the box. "Yep" You can afford to do that when you cast you own, I replied.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: your making me nervous!

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:I shoot at a range that was constructed by the Corps of Engineers and is run by the Georgia Dept of natural resources.

Last week while shooting the officer that is responsible for the range, stopped in to look around. He does that almost everyday as he lives a couple of miles down the road, so he stops on his way home in the evenings.He's a nice young fellow that has gotten money for much needed repairs to the facility, and he enjoys shooting and reloading. So after the normal hellos and a little conversation with me and the 4-5 other guys there, shooting resumed. After a few volleys there was a break to check targets. I didn't go downrange to look, as I was giving a 20 oz plastic bottle on the 100yd bank, a workout. During the break, I ran a patch down the bore of my R92-357, then put a patch in the bolt area and stepped out into the sun to see how much lead, if any, was in there. Then did the same to my blackhawk 357 as I am using the same loads in both. Officer Russell walked over and said "what are you doing, you're making me nervous looking down those barrels". I looked at him and said "you don't shoot cast bullets do you"? He replied "nope". Then he looked at my box of empties and asked "you shoot all those today?" probably 3 or 4 hundred in the box. "Yep" You can afford to do that when you cast you own, I replied.
Probably checking for zombies that might have wandered in from King & Mert counties. :lol:

Looking down barrels is the only way I know of checking for barrel fouling & obstructions...........perfectly safe operation with the cylinder unlocked & the action open.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Lots of the Saturday and Sunday shooting crowd like to shoot at zombie targets. I like a single black dot with no blood or eyeballs falling out!

There is no king or mert counties in the "REAL" Georgia. I have talked to a couple of people that live/work in senoia Ga where a lot of the filming is done, Coweta county by the way. And they say business is booming at the restaurants, motels, shops, because of all the tourist that come to see the real ZOMBIES walking the streets! Really????

Sorry I had the wrong name in there for the county, had to edit it.
Last edited by donhuff on 08 Oct 2013 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:Lots of the Saturday and Sunday shooting crowd like to shoot at zombie targets. I like a single black dot with no blood or eyeballs falling out!

There is no king or mert counties in the "REAL" Georgia. I have talked to a couple of people that live/work in senoia Ga where a lot of the filming is done, Senoia county by the way. And they say business is booming at the restaurants, motels, shops, because of all the tourist that come to see the real ZOMBIES walking the streets! Really????
Hmmmmm............sounds like a cover-up to me..........rumor has it that hog & deer gut piles in Georgia disappear within 1/2 hour since the "outbreak" 4 years ago............just kidding ! :lol:

Casting your own bullets is definitely cheaper but is it worth it?
Well that depends on how much shooting you do.
If you're a 6 shot sight-in before hunting season shooter + 1 more to put the deer down........probably not.
If you're lobbing 500 bullets down range each & every weekend & twice on Sunday.........definitely.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Cheaper?.......not really cheaper, as I still spend about the same amount of money, or maybe a little more, but I do get to shoot a whole lot more by casting/reloading. I do it mostly cause I enjoy that part of the hobby. Reloading is actually a hobby all on it's own. and casting is almost the same way. It's just that one depends on the other...casting-reloading-shooting.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:Cheaper?.......not really cheaper, as I still spend about the same amount of money, or maybe a little more, but I do get to shoot a whole lot more by casting/reloading. I do it mostly cause I enjoy that part of the hobby. Reloading is actually a hobby all on it's own. and casting is almost the same way. It's just that one depends on the other...casting-reloading-shooting.
Lots of free sources of lead....... wheel weights, fired bullets screened out of sand backstops at ranges..........that's gotta be cheaper than buying lead bullets or loaded factory ammo. Another advantage of casting is that you actually get to match your bullet to the bore of the rifle it is to be fired in.

I used to hand load all my ammo back in the 80s & 90s when there was a much smaller choice spectrum of factory ammo & the quality was lower than it is today.
But that has all changed.
I practice but I'm not one to lob 500 bullets at paper targets on the weekend.
When I squeeze the trigger on a center fire gun there's usually an antlered critter in the cross hairs.
I do most of my practice shooting with 22LR handguns & rifles.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Free lead still don't make it cheaper. And I go to a tire store that is owned by a flying buddy of mine, and he saves all the lead weights for me and does give them to me for free. BUT.....if I gots $50 to spend on bullets, and I get the lead for free, well then I'm still gonna spend that $50 some way some how on reloading bullet supplies, ie....powder,primers, cases,dies,presses,moulds,reamers cause the dang moulds wernt big enough,scopes, new guns,a 4 wheeler to ride to change targets, in other words I'M GONNA SPEND THAT DAMN FIFTY DOLLARS!!!
I have never had a hobby that was cheap, and I doubt I ever will. Heck, my wife is into knitting real heavy right now. Sounds like a cheap hobby right? She has paid up to $30 for a single skein of yarn. AND THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ONE PAIR OF SOCKS!!!! Did I say a dad gum word about how much it cost :| nope, I just agreed with whatever she had to say about it.

Cheaper would be sitting on the couch watching fooseball on tv.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Chris

Post by Chris »

You never know who is out and about. I have to admit, if I did not know someone, and they were looking down the barrel of the rifle or pistol I probably would be wondering about them and keep my eye on them until I figured out they were just checking for leading or whatever.

At a gun show one year ago, a man was taking his rifles out of the back of his pickup, removing them from their cases, (outside show) and when he came to one that was cocked, he pulled the trigger and let one rip over the crowd. He looked like a normal guy, probably was. I asked him and he said it was a blank he was checking to see was still live. Yep, sure was. Sure scared hell out of a bunch of folks, and I did not buy his story about the blank.

You never know about folks. Don't be too hard on the young man.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Oh,not really being hard on him.i understand his concern.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70