Hornady Gas Checks on sale at Brownells

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Hornady Gas Checks on sale at Brownells

Post by donhuff »

Gunner,
I have seen a few pic of bullets for patching that have NO grease grooves. Any benefit in using that kind of slug?
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:Gunner,
I have seen a few pic of bullets for patching that have NO grease grooves. Any benefit in using that kind of slug?
When I was in the mold business, I would take a remove the gas check shank from the cavities for a small fee. I had a number of customers that were paper patchers that would have me remove all the lube grooves as well. The bullet body was just a cylinder.
Michael
Gunner-CWO4

Post by Gunner-CWO4 »

In the words of an (in)famous President, it depends on your definition of benefit. :lol:

Technically the perfect bullet to paper patch is swaged in a hydraullic press and has no lube grooves. Patched bullets require no lube because the paper is a jacket, lightly lubed to help keep the paper intact while you press it into the case neck. In reality it's a sabot because, if constructed properly the bullet sheds the paper jacket shortly after exiting the muzzle.

I have a few molds that have been modified to remove the lube grooves and GC shank but I don't see that they perform any better than any commonly available mold with lube grooves and GC shank. All my favorite bullets are cast just as they came from the manufacturer and they all shoot at least as accurately or more so than premium jacketed hunting bullets. In retrospect, I wouldn't do it again. Mainly because I ruined a couple of vintage Saeco Molds that cannot be use for anything else now. Moreover, the expense never manifest any appreciable benefit to my shooting

In short, cast bullets are more than commensurate with my shooting ability and needs. I can see where a competative shooter might notice a marginal difference between an "off the shelf" casting and one specifically designed to patch but for hunting and shooting out to about 400 yds I don't thing there is any practical difference. None that would justify the additional cost.
Cheif Warrant Officer, USMC Ret.

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”....Clint Smith
Gunner-CWO4

Post by Gunner-CWO4 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
When I was in the mold business{/quote]

Ranch Dog, friend when you were in the business, much was right in the world of cast bullets. A National Treasure to all who cast. I believe if Henry V had ever shot a Ranch Dog design, he would opine thus:

This fact shall the rifleman teach his son;
And discussions of casting shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But Ranch Dog it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that casts with Ranch Dog molds
Shall be my brother;
And riflemen now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That molds with Ranch Dog designs.
Cheif Warrant Officer, USMC Ret.

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”....Clint Smith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Gunner-CWO4 wrote:Ranch Dog, friend when you were in the business, much was right in the world of cast bullets. A National Treasure to all who cast. I believe if Henry V had ever shot a Ranch Dog design, he would opine thus:

This fact shall the rifleman teach his son;
And discussions of casting shall ne’er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But Ranch Dog it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that casts with Ranch Dog molds
Shall be my brother;
And riflemen now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That molds with Ranch Dog designs.
Oh my, I'm humbled. Thank you!