Hornady Gas Checks on sale at Brownells

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Hornady Gas Checks on sale at Brownells

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

For those who use Hornady Gas Checks Brownells have them on sale right now. Did a search and no one I can find have them at this price.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bull ... 41180.aspx
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Hornady Gas Checks on sale at Brownells

Post by donhuff »

Well dern!

The .30 cal. ones are already sold out.

As a side note. I got some aluminum plain base gas checks yesterday from Sageoutdoors (ebay) and "installed" them on a few of my already cast and sized bullets. The .45 size worked extremely well, going on tight and straight on all of my pistol bullet styles. 255 swc, 225 TC, 255 RN. I did try them on a few of the RN that were not sized yet, and they worked well that way too, though that bullet drops on the small side at .452, which is what I also size them to.
I tried those checks on the Lee 457405 (45-70 bullet) but that did not work until I ran the slugs into a .452 sizer just on the bottom band, then the checks went on really well. I got some checks for the 50 S&W since they were for a .458 shanked bullet, but that did not work on these slugs. Just too big of an O.D. to make it into the die without cutting. It seems that you need to grind, sand, and polish, a very generous radius on the entry into the sizer die to make these checks go on easy without cutting the check. That's what I did on the .45 die, and did it later to the .459 one too. Now I need to grind on the .359 one so it will be easier and not cut so many.

I'm trying these out cause I have seen a marked difference in accuracy between checked and non checked bullets while shooting my RG 30-30. Even at low pressure and velocity the checked bullets do so much better that I think the checks are worth the trouble. I'm wondering if the checked bullets in the pistol calibers will make that much difference too. I have always been able to get plain base bullets to shoot with accuracy and without leading, except with this 30-30. But this is my first bottle neck rifle caliber that I have tried cast in. The 45-70 was my first rifle caliber to try and it worked without checks, slow or fast. Though I have not got down to see how accurate it is, other than some quick sand bag groups at 50 yds.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I have gas checks in an order that Midsouth is holding for me, waiting for some 30 cal. Hornady bullets to come off of backorder. It has been over two months so it shouldn't take much longer. Midsouth prices are 2-3 dollars more for each size than Brownells charge.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Don;

I have been using the sageoutdoors checks myself on my 45-70. They seem to work real well. I have wanted to try the Hornady checks but just could not find them for a reasonable price. I picked up 2000 in this sale so I should be good for a while with gas checks..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

thanks steelbanger, I'll check them out. I've never bought from them before.

Tuco, what do you think of the aluminum checks? They are almost as expensive as copper so I don't see the point if you have a gas checked mold. I got them because I have mostly plain base molds and wanted to try putting checks on those bullets to see if it made any difference in accuracy, since it made so much of an improvement in the Lee 170 30-30 bullet. I modified one hole on that mold so I would have a plain base to compare with. Guess I'll have to get another mould now and leave it GCed. I have some really old Lyman 357 copper checks. They are a lot thinner than Hornadys. So I tried to put them on some of the plain base 30 cal bullets, they went on really good. I think they work better than the aluminum checks, cause they don't tear like some of the AL ones do.

Speaking of a new mould. I've been looking at NOE's .30 165 RD mold. I saw in another post where you got a mould from them and said that it looks very good. Let us know what you think of it after you use it. And also what you think of the 350 bullet. I'm thinking of getting something a little lighter for my 45-70.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Gunner-CWO4

Post by Gunner-CWO4 »

All my "gas-checks" come from Family Dollar and the Halmark Store +guns
Cheif Warrant Officer, USMC Ret.

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”....Clint Smith
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I still aint figured that one out. Somebody give me a clue please.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Gunner-CWO4

Post by Gunner-CWO4 »

donhuff wrote:I still aint figured that one out. Somebody give me a clue please.
I'm a paper patch shooter so I don't use gas checks. Most, if not all my hunting loads are cast from pure lead or soft recycled range lead jacketed with paper. All but one or two exceed factory velocities. I patch the .38-55 with tissue paper from the Halmark Store and the .47-70 with recycled writing paper from Family Dollar.

Gunner

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”....Clint Smith
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ohhhhhhhhh...I got it.

I have read bits and pieces about that several times, but have never studied it or actually seen it done. Can you patch "any" cast bullet?

I have been reading some about powder coating bullets too. Sounds interesting but something else to have to do to the bullet before you use it.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Gunner-CWO4

Post by Gunner-CWO4 »

donhuff wrote:Ohhhhhhhhh...I got it.

I have read bits and pieces about that several times, but have never studied it or actually seen it done. Can you patch "any" cast bullet?

I have been reading some about powder coating bullets too. Sounds interesting but something else to have to do to the bullet before you use it.
donhuff,

In my opinion, yes. I haven't encountered anything that cannot be paper patched. I haven't been completely satisfied with the results patching .224" bullets but to be perfectly honest I don't shoot enough .22 cal to devote the time to working up the right combination. Additionally, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to paper patching for revolvers, at least in my experience. Revolver cartridges in a rifle is a wholey different animal, I like rifles.

One of my favorite loads for my Model-77 Ruger 300 Win Mag is our host's 311-170RF. I cast them from soft cable sheathing lead (about 5-8 Bhn), size to .308 with a Lee push through and apply 2 wraps of wet tissue paper, when they dry I rub a little Liquid Alox on with my fingers, resize to .310" and load over 81 gr of AA 3100. Last time I borrowed the chrono MV was just north of 3200fps, no GC and no leading.

I patch for my son's Microgroove Marlins with similar results. I wouldn't shoot cast in MG unless It was patched but that's just me (I'm not knocking MG so nobody write me any letters).

I patch .45-70, .38-55, .300 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, .35 Rem, .350 Rem (oh yeah baby) and 30WCF. The 30WCF I patch for the Marlin don't shoot well in my Rio Grande so I'm in the process of working up a combination for it. I made a casting of the Rio Grande chamber today and it appears to have a more generous throat than my son's Marlin.

It's a lot of work, but I'm retired with more time than money so I can afford to tinker--a lot--

Powder Coating sounds interesting but way beyond my technical abilities. I'm still working with paper :D