Indoor Plinking Loads for .38...

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Indoor Plinking Loads for .38...

Post by Archer »

I don't think I've ever seen .38 loads for rifles listed in standard manuals although I suspect you might find such among the cowboy action folks or in the lead only manuals.
I do recall seeing certain pistol rounds listed as 'do not reduce' due to concern they might stick in the barrel. I suspect if such a round was listed in the handgun section it'd be much more likely to get stuck in a rifle barrel.

I have loaded some light loads for fun but not much of it and not in .38 intended for rifles.
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

Thanks to all! I loaded up some rounds and went out to the range today. It looks like my best load was 3.8 of BE w/ the 160gr swc. Very little recoil, and low db crack. Nice groups too, off hand @ 50 & 75 feet.

Looks like this will be my "sweetheart" load until I use up my supply of heads. I musta got a good deal on these some years back. I can't for the life of me reason why I bought 160gr. otherwise? Oh well. Happy shooting! Ron

HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looks good! Thanks for the report.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

My gallery CB - like load that I can shoot in the rifle with no hearing protection is the shorter 38 special brass (so loaded to about 1.48 oal) and 3 grains of the new IMR Red (I use it interchangeably with Red Dot, and it's in the same burn rate as Bullseye) with the SNS casting 125 grain cast polymer coated bullet, this chronographs around 700 from my handguns and high 800s- 900 or so from my two 357 mag rifles. Do NOT go lower in charge then 3 grains and do NOT use this load on a plated or jacketed bullet, only a cast bullet because the plated and jacketed bullets are much more prone to sticking in the barrel with light loads. I have shot this load in the 16 and my 22 inch barrel rifles and even in the 22 inch barrel no problems in MY experience as far as the bullet sticking in barrel, BUT test it yourself in your rifle.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

ronedee wrote:...I loaded up some rounds and went out to the range today. It looks like my best load was 3.8 of BE w/ the 160gr swc. Very little recoil, and low db crack. Nice groups too, off hand @ 50 & 75 feet...
That looks pretty good!

I know you said that you have a bunch of Bullseye, but considering powder is usually the lowest cost component of a load, you may consider a 1 lb. bottle of TrailBoss for indoor close range shooting. I've used it a lot with heavier bullets (158gn) with great success.

How to the 38's feed through your rifle? Mine hiccups occasionally with the shorter 38's but not with 357 magnums.
ronedee

Post by ronedee »

Thanks for the powder info! I haven't had a problem yet. I'm getting some 125gr. LRNFP from Missouri Bullet. I've read that the Rossi prefers it. I'll report back w/ any issues or pluses! Thanks again! Ron