Published load data for 45 colt in a 20" barrel

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Published load data for 45 colt in a 20" barrel

Post by golfish »

Hey guys, I'm really getting interested in the handloading. I was looking on GB last week and saw a gun that really caught my eye, It's a new production Winchester 1892 short rifle 45 colt. The price is right so I ordered one.

I've read a lot of 45c realoding thread here but I'm a little leery because it's not the kind of data I have been told to trust. Most all of the other data that I've found on line doesn't cover rifle loads, it's all handgun loads.

Is there a couple good manuals that cover rifle loads that you might suggest? I have the same powders as mentioned in the 357 thread, 2400, B-86 and Unique. I'm open to new powders.

I plan to shoot mostly Hi Tek coated Missouri bullets and some jacketed. This will be strictly for ringing steel but I would like to work up a heavy hunting load later on.

Thanks again

Fish
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Published load data for 45 colt in a 20" barrel

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Hodsdon annual has both rifle and pistol loads for 45 Colt and Lyman 49th and Cast Bullet handbooks also have data. Those are the 3 I use in addition to Load Data on-line. I load for both pistol and rifle and have loads that work okay in my guns. I still recommend the books particularly for someone just starting with a new caliber.

If you look under my handle you'll find some info I post about m experiments with the Mo Bullet coated Keith bullet as compared to their conventional lube. All that data came right from the books mentioned above. Mostly the current Lyman Cast Bullet.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Do you not have a companion revolver? Are you trying to optimize with a slower burning powder to get the highest velocity from the long barrel?
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ohio3Wheels wrote: If you look under my handle you'll find some info I post about m experiments with the Mo Bullet coated Keith bullet as compared to their conventional lube. All that data came right from the books mentioned above. Mostly the current Lyman Cast Bullet.

I'm very interested in this but I don't follow what you mean by "under my handle" its probably right in front of me but I don't see it.

Harry, I don't have a six shooter in 45 colt , yet. I will by the end of summer though. I'd like to get one of those Standard mfg models that just hit Buds but that might be hard to swing.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I had never heard of Standard Mfg, thanks! I see how that might be hard to swing.

My method in 44 Spl is to load for the revolver, and take whatever good graces the carbine barrel allows.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I had never heard of Standard Mfg, thanks! I see how that might be hard to swing.

My method in 44 Spl is to load for the revolver, and take whatever good graces the carbine barrel allows.
Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

Ohio, I think I found the thread you referanced. It's about the simple pack, correct?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Let's see if this link works:

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... =19&t=6390

That should take you to the results from my experiment. Hope it helps.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Rifletom

Post by Rifletom »

golfish, I shot the new .45 Colt today. Sent an e-mail. I'll call tomorrow[Wed.] Have a load for you.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Sounds good Tom, I should have everything I need to make boolits tomorrow.
Rifletom

Post by Rifletom »

Oh, not sure what I may have hit here, but, I see a thumbs down thingie on golfish's last post. Oppsy on me I think. I don't know what the heck I did. Mark know's it's all good. Tech savvy, that's me.