How Many Times WIll You Reload Pistol Brass?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Rifletom

Re: How Many Times WIll You Reload Pistol Brass?

Post by Rifletom »

mr surveyor, sorry for your loss. Those are not easy times. We'll talk handloading another time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Sorry for the long, drawn out rambling. My wife and I have spent the last two weeks either at the hospital or the nursing home with my 91 year old mother, or at the funeral home (as of Tuesday) making arrangements for her Saturday funeral. Sometimes spouting a little useless drivel helps.
Sorry for your loss Mr. Surveyor
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Sorry for your loss, sir
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.
Considering the family, our loss is really her gain. She's been wishing it for several years and finally got her wish.

Sorry for appearing to hijack a really good thread topic. The use of brass multiple times has interested me since long before I personally started reloading. I still plan to revive and expand the record keeping on a small number of segregated batches of brass. There does seem to be a lot of variables though when it comes to brass life ... magnitude of the powder load, whether or not extra expansion of the case mouth is needed for a certain bullet, type of and intensity of the crimp, and probably several more. It's probably not a fair question to ask - "how many re-load cycles from a piece of brass" - without setting all the variables the same.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm like the owl in the tootsie roll pop commercial.

ONE
Ta-WHOO
Crunch

Something just happened.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Surveyor,

I just about didn't read carefully enough in your post that you lost your mother in the last few days - so sorry to hear this. Wishing you well.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I knew an old feller that said "a feller ain't really a man 'till he loses his Mamma". Don't know how true that is but after losing my father, and a wife, the loss of my Mother was definitely the hardest. But like Mr Surveyor mentioned, she knew, as did everyone else, where she was going and I also believe that. My prayers are with you...

As for case life, I know I have some 38 Special brass that has been reloaded 30 or more times and some 30-06 brass that was retired after 5 reloadings. I have had an odd case here and there that split on the first reload, but I have some Federal 44 Magnum brass that has survived 11 reloading with a max load of WC820 under a 265 gr. LRNFP, and will be reloaded again...
Pustic

Post by Pustic »

I'll keep reloading brass until I can look at it and it doesn't look good any more.
Am I paranoid? Nope, I'm heavily armed!
groo01

Post by groo01 »

Groo here
Depends on the load more then anything..
Reloading for the S.O. our 38 brass lasted till the nickle wore off and the case cracked.
some even lost the head stamp.
How many ,,, who knows?????????????????????????
I yet live