What do you do when every load shoots great...

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
ethang

What do you do when every load shoots great...

Post by ethang »

Finally got free time to play with some 296. I jumped right into the book max load of 16.7(yes I know) and used regular WSP primers ( yes I also know) and my normal Zero 158 JSP.

Decent standard deviation

Extreme spread was high but my first shot was only 1659, the next 4 were all over 1700.

The temp was in the high 30's, no ignition issues at all, primers look good,

First 5 at 75 yards

Next 5 the flyer was my first shot and I called it.

little different soot lines than normal, but this is with brand new cases.

I have not found a load that shoots poorly in this rifle and most are about neck and neck. I have my normal load(max of Lil'gun) that shoots every bit this well, just didn't like the barrel heat it produces. I might try this 296 load bumped a bit over book max and try some small rifle primers just to see if there is any improvement.

Going to try some of the 180 lead loads I got from GasGuzzler and then maybe call it a day and just shoot.

+guns

Ethan
Plastic has no soul...
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: What do you do when every load shoots great...

Post by Arroyoshark »

Excellent results !

Noted you are in Michigan, where you have some cold months. I had been hunting with .44 revolver with near max. loading of 296/H110, with mag primers, and recorded good velocity results in warmer weather. Hunting in November at 10,000 ft was a different story. I did get my elk, but the loads displayed quite diminished recoil and performance. As much as 296/H110, a double base powder, is touted as a high performance powder for magnum handguns, it is susceptible to temperature swings.

I went looking for another powder to use for November hunting. Not too many single based handgun powders are out there these days, but I've tried old Alliant 2400, tho a double base powder, seems to perform better in the cold of November. There may be newer marketed powders that are designed to perform well in cold weather as well.

Just a heads up.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's about how much 296 I use with 162's. Next to 2400 in my Blackhawk it's my favorite for 162's. Every load I try shoots good in my R92 and my NMBH.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
ethang

Post by ethang »

while I was inspecting my brass before reloading for more testing I noticed some of the bulging at the case head that has been documented here before. I have not had this with either the factory Federal loads, or the Lil'gun loads. So now this adds another area I need to track and evaluate. Maybe the Lil'gun loads, though hotter in the barrel, are better due to the lower pressures...
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've been pretty happy with 2400 loaded in .44 Mag.
I haven't loaded a lot of .357 YET but I'm getting ready to put together some with H110.

As has been noted there can be a large variation with ambient temp and extra cold weather just sucks the heat of reaction out of the system. Extra hot can make a good medium weather load go too hot as well.
Santa Lee

Post by Santa Lee »

Same here! I use Tite group and IMR 4227 and have never had that problem. I tried Trail Boss and now am having bulging of my cases! With this powder it should not happen.
ethang wrote:while I was inspecting my brass before reloading for more testing I noticed some of the bulging at the case head that has been documented here before. I have not had this with either the factory Federal loads, or the Lil'gun loads. So now this adds another area I need to track and evaluate. Maybe the Lil'gun loads, though hotter in the barrel, are better due to the lower pressures...
mikld

Post by mikld »

I read this thread a couple days ago and figgered I'd just pass. But I thought "what if a new reloader read this?". Starting out a new load with the maximum load is very poor reloading practice and saying "I know..." makes it no better. :evil:

For any newer reloaders following this thread; do not start any loads at or above the manual suggestions. You may get away with it, but eventually it will turn on you and bite you in your %@*&$...
ethang

Post by ethang »

mikld wrote:I read this thread a couple days ago and figgered I'd just pass. But I thought "what if a new reloader read this?". Starting out a new load with the maximum load is very poor reloading practice and saying "I know..." makes it no better. :evil:

For any newer reloaders following this thread; do not start any loads at or above the manual suggestions. You may get away with it, but eventually it will turn on you and bite you in your %@*&$...
Well as Jim Wilson likes to say, Bless your heart.
Plastic has no soul...
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

To answer the original question..........enjoy it.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Handloader109

Post by Handloader109 »

Do you guys load for the 92 with rifle primers or pistol primers? I've used both in some of my 9mm loads when I couldn't get pistol primers and didn't see any difference. What about Pistol in rifle? Just dumb loader question.