Getting There with my 30-30 Win

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Getting There with my 30-30 Win

Post by mr surveyor »

I do like the Sierra's myself. The Pro Hunter 170 gr was all I could track down several years ago when most every component was impossible to find. Rem Core-Lokt was off the availability list and I was lucky to get the Sierra's, although I did want the 150 Pro Hunter. I guess it didn't really matter for my Marlin sine I found after the re-blue that the 150's actually lost their accuracy edge and the 170's seemed to show an improvement. I may just go back to concentrating on the Pro Hunter 170's for the 30-30. The thought of cast bullets has been badgering me for the last 5 years and I would love to be able to shoot nothing but cast GC bullets ... I just really don't want to deal with the possibility of leading, even though it's probably not an issue when done right. I also don't have, or even know for sure which expander die I'd need for the .310-.311 cast bullets.

I reckon I'm having enough quality time with cast bullets in my R92's and I can leave the old Marlin as a platform to launch the jacketed bullets. It's always seemed to do fine.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I can send over some of my cast and checked bullets for you to try. I may have an extra expander but you'd have to send it back.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:The thought of cast bullets has been badgering me for the last 5 years and I would love to be able to shoot nothing but cast GC bullets ... I just really don't want to deal with the possibility of leading, even though it's probably not an issue when done right.
Yeah, there is a bit of cost in the setup, and I do understand the health concerns. As you say, when addressed properly, I don't think the latter is a concern. Every time my doc wants blood work, I ask him to include the lead panel, and as much as I cast the results come back with zip. I think the greatest exposure as shooters we have is from primers especially when there is a breeze in our face. I've had a couple of slow years, but the way my shooting is heading, I will be back to my norm of around 10K rounds a year. I did that rate for a decade along with the casting to support it, and there was no impact to my body as measured in a lead panel. My casting arm sure stayed sore.
mr surveyor wrote:I also don't have, or even know for sure which expander die I'd need for the .310-.311 cast bullets.
I've stopped expanding my necked cases other than with the basic sizer die. My dies are Lee, just order an expander (EzXpander in their terms) of the sized needed. For my 35-30 I did the same through CH4D, they use a "ball" threaded on the decapper. I started doing this to get a true neck for the size that I need and eliminate another case prep step. What I do is order an expander that is .001" over the bullet size. Remember that brass has a certain elasticity to it, and after the expander leaves the case, it will spring back a bit. With Lee, you must order the expander with reference to the diameter of the stock expander. I shoot a .311" bullet so I want a .312" expander. The stock expander is .307" so I ordered a +.005 EzXpander for the 30-30 Win ($10 ea). CH4D just wanted to know what diameter I needed ($6.50 ea).
Michael