Loading with bullet close to the rifling/lands - R92 .357

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
severnsider

Re: Loading with bullet close to the rifling/lands - R92 .35

Post by severnsider »

Following on from what I thought was a successful day out with what I thought were "real" FMJ projectiles...........

Not sure whether to be irritated or not. Recently bought a bag of 500 (labelled as) "ACE Bullets - .38/.357 158gr FMJ FP" as I wanted to try some higher velocities from my Rossi using Alliant 2400. Shot some at around 1450fps believing them to be FMJ (using 12,5gr 2400) and was pleased with the results.

However, I have just noticed a small card buried in the bag which states "LOS Copper Plated Bullets" -Made in Slovenia - http://www.los.si

A look at the LOS website reveals that they are plated, swaged bullets; I cut one open and compared it to a PPU FMJ and the copper is about half as thick as the jacket of the "proper" FMJ. Still quite thick though, perhaps 0.006", but further research on American sites (e.g. Berry's Bullets) and forums makes it clear that these plated bullets should not be run any quicker than normal lead projectiles. Berrys suggests keeping under 1250 fps.

Furthermore, these LOS bullets have a swaged core which is, I believe, much softer than the hardcast plain lead projectiles.

My question, then, is whether any of the long-time .38/.357 reloaders on here would recommend continued use of the LOS Plated (but sold as ACE FMJ) at 1450fps or am I just asking for trouble? It looks to me as though they should probably not be shot at much over 1050fps as noted on the "Black Rifle" website (although "West Wales Models" suggest that they have been "tested at velocities above 1200fps").

Thanks in advance for any info or experiences that you can share.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Any sign of leading?

Based on loading data I've managed to push Berry and Rainer plated to between 1250 and 1350 with no signs of break down and decent accuracy. This has been in both the 357 and the 45 Colt. I've also pushed Berry 200 grain HP to mid jacketed loads in 5 1911's with no adverse effects.

As they say you mileage may vary. I think a lot depends on bore condition and maybe the current phase of the moon :) .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I believe that Berry's plated bullets are recommended up to a velocity of 1500 fps.

I loaded a few Berry's 9mm several years ago but got side tracked into loading cast bullets in .38, .357 mag and .44 mag more than anything else. I never tried the plated bullets in those because of preference for a deeper crimp groove for the magnums. I've since bought quite a few of the X-Treme plated bullets for 9mm and .45 acp, but have no fear of exceeding velocity restrictions with those.

Check the Berry's website velocity recommendation for those 38/357 plated bullets. I think your 1450 fps loads should be o.k. If you're not finding signs of lead fouling or copper residue in the barrel, and the bullets hold together all the way to the target, I don't see a problem.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Thanks Ohio3Wheels and MrSurveyor. No sign of leading and no sign of copper in the barrel, so I'll continue for the time being but will keep an eye on things. Best look for some "proper" FMJ to play with but they seem to be in short supply in the UK!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Doesn't scare me at all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Well, I think I've found a good enough round to stick with now. 4.2gr Bullseye and a 125gr truncated cone in a .38 case (with a good crimp in the groove) has resulted in very repeatable off-hand shooting out to 300 yards (steel plate) with a red-dot sight from my 20" stainless R92. I am very pleasantly surprised and pleased.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've run a lot of Rainier and Xtreme plated bullets over the years in .45 ACP, .44 Mag, 9mm.
The .44s were mostly shot out of a 24" Winchester as heavy loads with no problems.
The cores ARE soft lead if you deform the bullets during crimping they can get looser in the case as the brass tends to bounce back while the lead stays crushed. This can lead to bullet setback and increased pressures. A little trial and testing should prevent problems. They are a bit more picky than actual jacketed but if you are careful during load development it shouldn't be a problem.

I currently have them sitting on the shelf for .30 Carbine, .380 ACP, 9mm, .38SP/.357Mag, .45 ACP, .44Mag, .45-70 & .50 Beowulf.