O.A.L. 45 Colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Santa01

O.A.L. 45 Colt

Post by Santa01 »

Howdy, thought I had posted this but it seems to have been devoured by the same entity that eats one of a pair of my socks.
I am ( maybe overly ) concerned with OAL of some of the heavier bullets for the .45Colt. In particular the heavy hunting bullets of 280 plus grn. I am wanting to work up loads for large hogs in middle Ga. and bear here in the N. GA.mountains. I am also wondering if I really need a gas check. Any info would be very appreciated. THANKS!
mikld

Re: O.A.L. 45 Colt

Post by mikld »

I'd think there's a few factors to consider. What gun you wanna use them in? How hard you plan on pushing them? A gas check works in all applications I've tried, it's just one added step. My cast bullets are sized to fit my gun, groove diameter and/or cylinder throats so I don't always use gas checks. FWIW I rarely measure the OAL of my revolver loads, just seat to the cannalure or crimp groove. Same for my lever gun.

One thing to check would be the distance from the crimp groove/cannalure to the nose added to the case length must be shorter than the length of the cylinder, if you're using a revolver...
SaltH2Odeprived

Post by SaltH2Odeprived »

My 45 hunting load has a 325 grain gas checked bullet @ 1445 FPS.
OAL is 1.662, that large bullet takes up a lot of case capacity, the charge of Lil Gun is compressed 105%.
It is very good hog medicine.
More details on this load can be found by searching my previous posts.
Give thanks to PhotoBucket for breaking supporting image links.
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

mikid, I forgot to say! Rossi .45 Colt. I am looking for around 1300 fps.

SaltH20deprived, OAL 1.662 revolver or rifle?
SaltH2Odeprived

Post by SaltH2Odeprived »

Santa01 wrote:mikid, I forgot to say! Rossi .45 Colt. I am looking for around 1300 fps.

SaltH20deprived, OAL 1.662 revolver or rifle?
Rossi Model 92.