More equipment for more calibers

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

More equipment for more calibers

Post by Archer »

So in the last year or two I've added several new calibers:
Won a 7mm-08. Got new dies, a stock of ammo to fire so I'll have some brass to reload, need to get some projectiles. Mostly Federal as I prefer the brass to foreign, Remington and even Winchester seems to have gone downhill the past few years.

Building a 6.5 Grendel that turned into two of them before I got the first one built.
New dies. A couple hundred rounds of Hornady when it was on sale, probably should have grabbed more. Case gauge. Trimmer parts. Have some 6.5 projectiles but may need to go with a different type for this cartridge.

Building a 12.7x42mm (AKA 50 Beowulf)
New dies, more ammo (4 different loads), case gauge, trimmer parts. May need to check into a different hand primer since the Lee apparently doesn't work with the rebated rim case without some butchery.
Haven't had anything in 50 caliber of any sort before so everything is new on this one.

10mm Auto Kimber 1911.
New dies since I never got around to getting a .40 either. Ordered in a case and a quarter of GA Arms factory ammo before the laws change next January here in Komifornia. It is all Starline brass should be good to go for reloading. (A fifth of the rounds are loaded with Speer bonded HP. WOW that's a heck of a big cavity HP. Might have to stick with that bullet although I'm partial to XTPs.) Ordered a case of projectiles. Probably need to order a case gauge. I wonder if I'm going to wish I'd ordered two cases of loaded stuff before I'm done. I probably need to order a M die in 10/40.

Then there's the 444 Marlin that I'd already previously been give dies for and had to order the ammo and bullets to reload it.

I guess I need to check my Dillon parts to see if I need to add any caliber conversions.
I think I might have a 6.5 powder funnel but doubt I've purchased the 7.62x39/Grendel shellplate. That'd be the same one the Beowulf uses as well.
Also not sure I've got parts for 10mm/.40.
Probably need to add additional toolheads and powder dies although I don't expect to be doing a lot of volume in the 7mm08 or the Beowulf.
I'm sort of feeling the need to order the Mr Bulletfeeder funnels even though I don't plan on using their feeder.
GasGuzzler

Re: More equipment for more calibers

Post by GasGuzzler »

I never bought 7.62X39 dies after I got the O-PAP because I never bought any brass cased ammo.

I never bought 300AAC dies after I built another AR because it's going to a friend that I hope buys all OEM.

I have 45ACP dies, bullets, and powder since I bought my first 1911 this year buy I've yet to load a round.

The second AR I just finished is 5.56X45 (but this time in 1:7 20") so I already have the stuff (plus I got some Nosler 77gr bullets for CHEAP for this barrel).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Well you guys are certainly expanding the bench!

Meanwhile im waiting for things to settle down with this new job and pending move until i hit reloading hard again so for now im still just reloadinf 38SPL and 357MAG

Cant wait to pick up a second caliber (45lc likely)

@Archer, just curious what bullets youre putting in those 444 cases?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GRV01 wrote:Well you guys are certainly expanding the bench!

Meanwhile im waiting for things to settle down with this new job and pending move until i hit reloading hard again so for now im still just reloadinf 38SPL and 357MAG

Cant wait to pick up a second caliber (45lc likely)

@Archer, just curious what bullets youre putting in those 444 cases?
Bought Hornady Superperformance 265 grain FP.
Likewise bought 265 grain Hornady FP to reload them with.
Reviews on the 265 grain Hornady FTXs were mixed at best. On the 265 FPs reviews were almost all positive. The loaded rounds were $5-$10 a box less than 240 grain Remington.
I figure at the .444 velocities a FP is going to be better than a HP and a slightly heavier tougher bullet is all to the good. My rifle has the slower twist so it may not like heavier than the 265 grain weight but I intend to also try the 300 grain Speer .429 in it as well.
Last edited by Archer on 25 Nov 2017 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I use the 9mm shell plate for the 40-10mm cases.
I did need to use a different numbered button, but I already had a funnel that worked.
that saved some cash on buying more Dillon stuff [like they ain't already got like 10K of my money]

your 7-08 will use the #1 plate which is for the 45 acp/308/30-06/X57 case family's.
so all you'd need there if the 7mm powder funnel.
having said that i really prefer to do most of my rifle stuff on the single stage, even if it's just the sizing and other case prep before running it through the Dillon to do the actual loading.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

With you on the single stage for rifle.
I run most rifle on a Forrester Coax and I've just picked up a Rock Crusher.

I wasn't really planning on running the 7-08, or 50 on the Dillon, even 6.5 Grendel is questionable but I like to have the options available.
I do check the components for the caliber conversions and buy only what I need rather than duplicating what I already have. I think I've got two of the #1 shell plates already. I'm pretty sure I haven't picked up the .40/10mm or the 7mm funnels to date.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Looks like I DID pick up the 40 caliber powder funnel. According to the manual that means I can use the 9mm shellplate with the 38 SP pins and be good to go.

I do need to pick up a few funnels, a conversion kit, powder dies (various), and maybe a few more toolheads... No real hurry on those yet.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I have turned out some amazing ammo on the 550's by pre-prepping the cases.
it is nice to know that I can turn out a good pile of regular, works in everything, generic, ammo if necessary.
especially when it's as/more accurate as about anything I can buy off the shelf for twice the price.
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

Last year I started loading 10mm, 357 maximum, 223 and 45-70. This year I'm hoping I don't add any new calibers as I'm out of room with the 6 others I load. Also last year I started casting bullets too. It was a good year I just have to put all the stuff to good use.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice. I started lots of stuff all at once too. I need more turrets now that I have my LCT at home AND I built a turret rack.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.