44 special load in 44 mag case

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
GasGuzzler

Re: 44 special load in 44 mag case

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nope. Opposite a couple times though. Squibs because it won't meter in an Auto Disk Pro, won't meter in a Uniflow, dirty, inaccurate.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Well, Unique ain't going anywhere and it will continue to have it's loyal users and some won't like it for whatever reasons. That's one of the plusses of reloading; you can use whatever ya want...

Some fellers even drive Fords...:mrgreen:
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

mikld wrote: Some fellers even drive Fords...:mrgreen:
I know right. How can that be? :-)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

mikld wrote: *** snip ***

Some fellers even drive Fords...:mrgreen:

GasGuzzler wrote:
mikld wrote: Some fellers even drive Fords...:mrgreen:
I know right. How can that be? :-)
Some of us fellers can't help being classy, we're just born that way! :D

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:Nope. Opposite a couple times though. Squibs because it won't meter in an Auto Disk Pro, won't meter in a Uniflow, dirty, inaccurate.
Well, it seems to meter ok in an old Lyman 55, worked well in a Hornady measure. Those were both borrowed when I was starting out loading .45 ACP. It has worked ok in my Redding 3BR measure as well and my buddy's Redding 3. I have not tried it in the Dillon powder measure as they are sliding cavity drops and reports are mixed dealing with Unique in them. Some claims it works fine, others claim the large flakes prevents the slide from operating consistently and freely. Dillon makes the parts to run other measures on their presses and they work. I've never had Unique bridge in the measures I've used so that it didn't drop a powder charge. I tend to check all charges when setting the measure but once it is set and dropping consistent every 5 or 10 charges. Typically within a tenth grain or less.

If I wasn't getting accurate results out of it with the .45 ACP or the .44 special level .44 Mag loads I'd not be using it. I might not even have continued with reloading as it was one of the very first powders I used when starting out.

One of these days I'm going to upgrade the vehicle. So far I've run a small LTD and a couple Buick LeSabres.
The LTD was fun and Buicks have been nice but so far I've not been particularly happy with the GM product I've rented or test driven and the attitude of the local dealer service and repair center leaves a lot to be desired. Ford's awful proud of their trucks right now and I'm frustrated looking at their truck builder. Every time you choose a $500 option it demands another $2500 change in the other options. I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with next time but it's going to need to be done probably sooner rather than later.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Lee dippers and a digi-scale work fine for me .... and as for the other subject - been driving nothing but Nissan 4x4's since 1983.

I must be more weird than I thought ;)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
mikld

Post by mikld »

An aside; I worked on Dodge, GMC/Chevy and lastly Ford pickups when I was working for a large city water and power department. The Department had a few hundred at a time and they got rough treatment and I was one of the mechanics that kept them running. Each one has it's quirks, and each has it's faults. Knowing all this I bought a Toyota pickup I've owned GMC/Chevy pickups since 1969 and I just got tired of the lack of reliability. Just my opinion though... :D
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

I've deep seated the bullets in 357 mag cases and 44 magnum cases to match the same overall length as they would be IF loaded in 38 special brass or 44 special brass AND use the powder charge for 38 special and 44 special, that way you get the same powder capacity but avoid the carbon ring in your carbine or revolver. The trick to make this work is you need to get a taper crimp die and it looks funny with the bullet seated that deep and obviously you can't crimp in the crimp groove but what you do is use the taper crimp die and give it a light taper crimp OVER the bullet shoulder. Be aware you will need to use these rounds only in single shot mode in the carbine BUT in revolvers they work GREAT
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

single shot mode in the 92 tends to be a deal breaker for me...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio357MagFan wrote:I've deep seated the bullets in 357 mag cases and 44 magnum cases to match the same overall length as they would be IF loaded in 38 special brass or 44 special brass AND use the powder charge for 38 special and 44 special, that way you get the same powder capacity but avoid the carbon ring in your carbine or revolver. The trick to make this work is you need to get a taper crimp die and it looks funny with the bullet seated that deep and obviously you can't crimp in the crimp groove but what you do is use the taper crimp die and give it a light taper crimp OVER the bullet shoulder. Be aware you will need to use these rounds only in single shot mode in the carbine BUT in revolvers they work GREAT
You are really not achieving anything other than increasing the stated pressure of the loads because of the deep seating (neck tension).

I ran this through QuickLoad using my 38 Spl load for my Rossi 351, and then deep seating the bullet to maintain the Spl COAL in a Mag case. This change bumped the pressure 4,000 PSI.
Michael