Zero 158 JSP's and Lil'gun

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
ethang

Zero 158 JSP's and Lil'gun

Post by ethang »

After more than 18 months of backorder I finally got one of two shipments of Zero 158 JSP bullets. I wanted these because A: they are pretty economical for a jacketed bullet and B: I hope to duplicate or maybe exceed the Federal load that has shot so well in my 92.

I have been researching but have not tried Lil'gun, so this is my first powder I plan to try. Today two batches got loaded, 17.5 grains and the full max load of 18.0. If the rain holds off tomorrow I am going to the range in the AM with my chronograph to see how these run.

Next will be 2400,296 and AA#9.

Of course with PB pulling the stunt last week I will need to figure out a new host site for posting results.
Plastic has no soul...
ethang

Re: Zero 158 JSP's and Lil'gun

Post by ethang »

This morning was not the best day to test loads. I was dodging rainstorms and the heat and humidity even at 9am was intense. I could not keep my glasses from fogging up which made shooting small groups a bit of an issue.

I did get some good chrono readings however. 17.7 grain load averaged 1848 with an extreme spread of 37. I was shooting at 50 yards.

First 3 shot group had three tight shots and a flyer. This would prove the pattern all morning. Even letting the barrel cool for a minute between shots I kept getting 3 shot flyers.

Next 3 did the same, but the group was very encouraging.

Next up was the 18 grain load. Average was 1866 fps with a 34 extreme spread. I think my barrel was getting too warm at this point to cool enough between shots.

still not too bad of a group, but then I have not found any load that has shot poorly in this rifle. Either is a minute of deer or varmint and I am not sure how much more velocity I will chase. I do want to try some 296 and AA9 to see if the barrel will stay cooler. Lil'gun really is a very hot shooting powder.
Plastic has no soul...
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Looking good. Cant speak to the AA9 but 296 and its sister H110 are pretty hot powders. In the weather like we're having down here in Dayton it only take 2 or 3 of my hunting loads with H110 to have either the 357 or the 45 Colt barrels too hot to hold on too. The range I shoot on has a covered firing line, unfortunately it faces south so morning the sun is in your face on on the benches after 1 or so you get some relief but by then it's so hot barrels take a long time to cool.

Sweat in your eyes and foggy lens can make for tough shooting but hose groups aren't hateful for first try loads.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The flier is the story of Lil'Gun, a fellow and I were just visiting at the ranch and both admitted it a fact of life no matter what the string of shots are for. In that, it is hot down here all the time, when I test my Lil'Gun fueled rifles for hunting I will take a shot go back down the hill to the house and not return for at least 30 minutes. The rifle sits up at the range until a five shot group is shot. That is the only way I've ever eliminated the fliers in a string. I'm moving to H110 only to use up 4 lbs that have been sitting on my shelf for 15 years. It is a bit better but the max loads are still hot enough to cause problems.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd say that's great velocity from a .357 and ES is great too. Some people would keep pushing. I would predict 110/296 to make a little less velocity, higher ES, and possibly tighter groups. If you're really into testing you should try 2400. My experience with .357 is in cast bullets and mostly in a 6.5" Blackhawk but I have tried some cast combos in my R92. Try 300MP too. I have some gifted I haven't tried yet. Keeps me from burning my unobtainable 2400 pet six gun powder.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm a big fan of both AA#9 and A2400. They seem to fit my needs well in both .357 mag and .44 mag.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ethang

Post by ethang »

No pics but I tried 17.0 of Lil'gun yesterday as well as choreographing the Federal 158jsp.

17.0 went 1745 fps. I shot both the JSP as well as the JHP Zero's I have. Both shot almost the same size group as the other two loads. Either my rifle shoots all these loads to it's mechanical limit or my shooting is whats holding it back. There has not been enough of a difference in group size to worry about so far.

The Federal factory load went 1754 fps. If you can extrapolate velocity, the 1 grain of powder difference was good for 100 fps between 17.0 and 18.0. I don't know if I care to go beyond 18.0, even though I believe the rifle and the powder will be safe doing so. What really is another 100 or so fps going to gain me in the long run.
Plastic has no soul...
ethang

Post by ethang »

Moved back to about 75 yards and shot some more. Nothing I have tried has eliminated the flyer.
Plastic has no soul...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Dead orange though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.