Hand loads for the circuit judge

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Oz judge

Hand loads for the circuit judge

Post by Oz judge »

Hey guys just want a see what you guys are using in your circuit judges?
I have been loading 9gr of trail boss in my casull r92 20" & it's right on 1100fps. Awesome light load for my close range pig hunting. It completely penetrates 90-100lbs pigs with ease & they bleed out real well . That was using Hawkesbury river hard cast rnfp 250gr ( Aussie bullets ) I still have a bunch left over . But I now also have lee 6 caverty moulds in 300 gr & 255gr rnfp which have a wider meplat. I have 100 of each cast sized & coated with hi tec coating ( from oz ) I will probably will use trail boss again but also have ar 2205 / . But buying the best powder for the job is no problem for me.
Now I'll be loading for the circuit judge in 45 colt . I have seen 8.5gr of trail boss on this site but I'll have to check pressures in my adi book 1st . I'm hoping to find some load data that will get my mind ticking over of best hunting knock down power for least pressure for use in the circuit judge . Because it's a revolver I can use any shaped bullet with in reason now. Also looking at that cylinder jump??? Have already thought of using 460 S&W cases & lee 454 cast mini balls seated out with a hollow base. That should help with pressure & have a very WIDE meplat & are 454 . Been looking at rifle cases that may also fill the chamber but the good ones seem to be around .500 base diameter with big rims , 444 , 30/40 , 303, 7.62x54r are all to small . So ether 460 S&W or a 45colt basic case longer than standard would be best. But then it comes back to its a dirty Rossi circuit judge & I only need 5-6" @ 50-70 yards to for fill my requirements . So please feel free for any in put or pet loads tried & tested in your curcuit judges . I will research the hell out of any load data given anyways . Cheers .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hand loads for the circuit judge

Post by Ranch Dog »

I never could figure it out. With the shotshell cylinder, gap, and over-diameter forcing cone; the rifle is snakebit. Early on with this firearm, those that bought it looked at longer brass, but the forcing cone was the problem. It could darn near swallow an entire 45 Colt cartridge. The 44 Mag 22 RF were the same way. Rossi builds a great revolver, not sure what they were thinking with the CJ.
Michael
Oz judge

Post by Oz judge »

I still won't have the circuit judge in my hand for another week yet . Does anybody know ID chamber dimensions ? It looks like trail boss starting loads for the 460 S&W with a 325gr rnfp might work for a heavy load. 16 000 psi . I've seen standard pressures listed as 14 k psi , 14 800cup , 14 000 cup ??? I'm not really after maximum pressure loads gathering info. Not using 454 cases because I have heaps of 454 full power loads & in-experienced shooters that have access to my ammo & firearms.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I owned my CJs five years ago and had all kinds of information and dimensions posted here on the forum. Most of it was in the form of detailed images but I deleted off my server about a year ago. Sorry.
Michael