Bullet pullers

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
jamesgpobog

Bullet pullers

Post by jamesgpobog »

What is the end result supposed to be? I did a test (one load only) and the bullet trapped in the collet and the case went flying. :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Bullet pullers

Post by Arroyoshark »

Two basic kinds of boolit pullers are the RCBS, et al, 'collet' type puller, which is a die that screws into top of reloader press, and a Lyman type 'inertial' puller, which looks like a hammer. For handgun loads I prefer the Lyman because it's hard to get the collet to keep a firm hold on a cast boolit.

Sounds like the collet is properly gripping the boolit. When raising lever to pull the case from the boolit, I use a slight pop with hand on the lever handle to jerk the case from the boolit quickly, but not enough to make case go flying from the shell holder. Try another one.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

Didn't know there were 2 types. I got the hammer...
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

With my Lyman, I secure the case in the collet, screw down the cover good, then rap on a hard surface - like the floor. I usually put a towel down so the impact is not so severe to the end of hammer head. The bullet and the powder should be pulled out by inertia and be captured within the inside of the 'hammer' head. I remove the screw on cap, case and just pour out the bullet and powder into small dish. It usually takes 2-4 whacks of the puller on the floor to release the bullet.

demo Lyman bullet puller
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I use the kenetic hammer I think mines a Frankford arsenal it's ok if only a few need pulled. If you have large amounts your demilling you may want the press mounted puller. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

My bet is I didn't have the cap tight enough...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The tighter the cap and the harder the surface the less whacks it takes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Also be careful of what you whack the kinetic puller against, it will crack or divot a tile! I have used the Quinetics Ultimate Kinetic Puller for about 25-years, and I seem to use it a lot and I was just thinking about buying a new kinetic puller because the chamber mouth had gotten beat up which was making it tough to get a tight fit on the cap. While on Titan Reloading's website, I ran across the Uni-Chuck Shim Fit Combo, so I bought it. This is a neat way to revitalize a puller, and if I were to buy another, I would buy another kit and use the sleeve in the chamber immediately.

If you get a kinetic puller, force a foam ear plug down into the nose of the chamber. Use a cleaning rod to compress it down in there. It will save your bullets from getting beat up.
Michael
9x80Drilling

Re: Bullet pullersRanch Dog

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Ranch Dog, thanks for the tip on using an earplug to protect bullet noses. I've used my Quinetics for years and years, damaging an occasional nose. I used a technique of initially harder blows then resolving to softer taps as the projectile worked its way out of the case.
Often my timing of blows and the bullet slippage didn't correspond. With the earplug I now have a foolproof way of keeping noses true! DUH
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Almost everyone makes one of the kinetic style pullers.
I think the old RCBS a buddy bought came with the rubber in the chamber.

Mine came with 3 collet sizes. I haven't noticed the collet end getting beaten up but the side that you slam into the bricks on the other hand has shown some wear.