Cases bulging near head. .357 Magnum R92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Toddm

Re: Cases bulging near head. .357 Magnum R92

Post by Toddm »

Its out of warranty...So have any of you sent your rifles back to Rossi to have their gunsmiths fix an issue? the guy on the phone said the barrels are between $40-$70 depending on the model. I didn't have my serial # handy so he couldn't give me a good quote. Do the barrels just screw in? I've never taken one down that far before.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

in the simplest of terms yes the barrel screws in, there's a bit more to it than that. If it hasn't had the sight dovetails cut you can thread it in tight, adjust the head space and mark and cut the extractor notch then mark and cut the sight DTs. If the barrel is already cut then it's catch as catch can if everything will line up correctly.

And as to having the Rossi "gunsmiths' fix your rifle with that's a catch as catch can situation also from what I read in these pages. They may fix" it but will it actually be repaired?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Ohio3Wheels, Thanks for that. I have no Idea if they have the Dovetails cut or not. I would assume not since they probably have no reference for the clocking of the threads in the receiver. I think I'm going to be better off fixing it myself. I have been reading up on it and I have access to the tools I need.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If I had the tools, my Sherline lathe isn't near big enough, I'd be much more comfortable doing it myself and I figure I'd get it right. I wonder if the barrels are short chambered so you can do the final head spacing. I'm pretty sure you can rent reamers and head space gauges. Please do keep us posted.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As far as doing it yourself, be sure to ask if they will sell you a barrel.
Michael
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Toddm,

Just saw this post, I actually have the same exact issue and I purchased my R92 357 mag 5 years ago. I started investigating when I had a case almost separate at the case head. I did a lot of research and believe the issue is related to the issue of the action of the lever action itself because it does not lockup as strong as other actions like a bolt action or single shot. There is actually an advisory in the latest Speer manual under the 357 mag rifle reloading section that says only fire full power magnums from lever actions in new or once fired brass because the action doesn't lockup real tight and the cases can stretch with max loads. I did extensive testing and fired half a box of factory 357s in my 357 mag revolver and half in the Rossi and also the same thing with a box of 38 specials. All the factory 357 mag loads have the bulge from the Rossi and no bulges at all from the 38 specials. The 357s shot in the revolver did not bulge at all. Also I measured the overall lengths of the casings and the higher 357s all measured longer when fired from the Rossi and all shorter from the revolver. The 38 specials were identical length when fired in either the revolver or Rossi. This told me the issue is related to pressure, bottom line is the higher pressure 357 rounds bulged and stretched in the Rossi while the low pressure 38 special casings were identical when fired in the Rossi or revolver, smooth sides with no bulge and identical case lengths in both firearms.

Bottom line is with extensive experimenting two main things I did resolved the issue- First I discovered by sticking to starting 357 mag loads and any 38 special level power load the brass does not bulge or stretch at all. With the 357 magnum 158 grainers I never go over 15 grains of H110/296 and everything is ok. When you get around 16 grains the cases stretch and the bulge appears. The second thing I did was get an old school NON-Carbide STEEL sizer die (one where you need to lube cases) and discovered that sizes cases MUCH better then carbide sizer dies, the old school steel die sizes the case in cone like fashion and makes it so the bottom 2/3rd of the case gets worked a lot less and the cases fit the chamber much more snug then cases squeezed straight from a carbide die. Alternatively you could get the Redding dual ring carbide sizer die and have the convenience of not needing to lube cases along with the advantages the old school steel sizing has, the dual ring die has two carbide rings so the bottom 2/3rds of the case is squeezed less then the top 1/3 where you need the case squeezed down more for bullet tension.

For what it's worth, I got a single shot .44 magnum rifle and that action locks up really tight, you can shoot the hottest loads imaginable and never have any case stretch or bulging whatsoever. I think the Ruger bolt action model 77 in 357 and 44 mag would also allow you to fire the hottest loads with unlimited brass life too. Apparently all revolvers do not stretch cases either. Bottom line is the issue pertains to how strong the action locks up and the way the lugs lock at the rear of the lever action allows for the case stretch. I don't think it's just lever actions too because I've talked to hand loaders loading for bolt actions that lock at the rear instead of the locking lugs being at the front. I can't recall the model number, but a guy was telling me he loads .243 for one of the Remington bolt actions where the lugs lock at the rear and he can only shoot starting loads in that rifle, otherwise the cases stretch a lot and you only get 1-2 firings max
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

I have noticed my rifles doing the same thing with 357 cartridges. What I've been wondering is, is that brass safe to reuse for long specials or would you just chuck it? I have never reloaded 357, I have a buttload of 38 brass but sometimes it's a little hinky in the cycling.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I suspect and only time and firings will tell that they'd be fine with 38 Spl loads up to the max and even light 357 loads. Taking the above advise and resize with a steel die and you'll likely get a few loads out of them. Any thing hot follow Speer's advise and use new or once fired. I have a lot of old (90-92) 357 brass that was shot in either a Contender or a Black Hawk and none too gently I might add. Loading that brass for the '92 with moderately stiff 357 loads started producing failures, so far all of them split necks. A lot of that brass has been recycled. I'm using new Starline brass for my hunting loads (180 grain cast or jacket) and for fun I've been shooting 125 grain loads either my own or from Mid-West.

Make smoke,
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't have a gun that bulges them. If I did I'd try to fix it or saw it up. If I kept it I wouldn't reuse brass very many times.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The problem with reusing the brass is you don't know when it will fail.
Failure modes CAN concentrate the blast on a tiny area of the chamber which leads to it being pocked out much like you slapped it with a tiny shaped charge or hit it with a electrical discharge machining arc for an instant. (At least one of the primer manufacturers has had some product crack during firing and it can ruin a bolt in short order.)

The other problem beyond the chamber/bolt is where does that flame cutting gas go?
Your face is awful close to the action, you typically are holding the gun under or just forward of the chamber with one hand and just behind/under the bolt with the other. And if not your face perhaps the face of someone you care about.

IF you are willing to put up with using brass only 1 time and destroying it afterward maybe it's ok for you but if I find my .357 doing that I'll be most annoyed. Not sure how I'll handle it but it might instantly become a parts donor.