Starting from Scratch, and still Learning

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Deleted User 2964

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

That's the exact same kit I purchased when I started realoading. It has served me well over many thousands of rounds.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I advised my buddy to start with a similar kit http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html
OR to buy a similar press and get his own
Lee Hand primer, better scale and better powder dump.

He got the kit and has used it extensively.
After issues with the scale consistency he replaced it with a Redding powder scale.
After issues with the powder dump and fine flake powder he replaced it with a Redding 3 powder measure.
He has since managed to find out what was messed up with the Lee powder dump and get it working acceptably but it required a combination of fiddle factor and possibly some flash trimming or something.
He's loaded pretty extensively using the single stage and has gone on to acquire a Load Master and a Turret press. He's still using the single stage for limited runs and for brass prep. I'm a fan of the turret presses having used one years ago but for my money the Load Master is a pain and I'd go Dillon 550 or Hornady Lock and Load progressive every time. The on press trimmer in the kit you show wasn't in my bud's kit. He's purchased one and likes it. I've got one but I'm not convinced it's any better than other methods I've used. The chamfer tool is ok but I prefer the ones with more cutting edges from Hornady, Wilson or other manufacturers that will run you $15 to $20 or so. I don't like Lee's on the press primer tools. Their hand primer setup IMO is much to be preferred. Hence the recommendation to buy the other kit. I prefer Hornady One Shot sizing lubricant. My buds have mostly switched to that as well after trying it at my urging.

I have had a couple buddies who've had similar kits in addition. One got a scale we had no problems using. Another replaced the scale with a RCBS 1010. Yet another long time reloader I know uses the Lee scale in preference to his RCBS 1010. I think the construction and light weight of the scale make it very susceptible to WHERE it is and what is going on around it. IF there's ANY air movement, wind/AC/heater/ or whatever in the area it can be effected. If there's any static of any kind in the area, Styrofoam block, plastic bins or whatever nearby that has a charge on it then the scale can be thrown off. Other makes of scales CAN have similar problems but with heavier construction and materials they are more likely to function well in my experience.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Well things are changing regarding my moving plans so for now still no telling when I can get a real press

*but* I have just ordered my LEE hand press and dies and some other items and they should be here in less than a week. LGS sells the powder and primers at a bit of a markup but overall still cheaper than ordering online with hazmat fees so ill be picking that up next week.

Still not settled on a powder, though mind you, they have a small selection. I think I saw H110 last time I was there and either Unique or Bullseye (though not both), so I gotta figure out which I should get thatll make a good load for lighter 38 feeling rounds out of our Rhinos and zippy warm to hot loads from the 92s since Im only going to buy one. In any case I have a week to decide.

Excited :D
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Unique will do fine under your stated circumstances .... .38 spl standard loads and .357 moderate loads.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Unique is DELETED (I hate Unique). Bullseye is fine for .38 but get the H110 if you plan to load .357. Don't expect to use one powder for wildly different loads.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I hear that alot but im not sure why Unique is either loved or hated. Does it meter poorly or something else?

So you wouldnt recommend Bullseye for 357? Why is that? Burn rate too fast?
No thin chicks
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I prefer higher fill percentages for .357.

Unique is dirty and my revolvers don't like it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've had a love/hate relationship with several powders over the years, Unique and Herco top the list. I found that Unique cleans up somewhat as you approach near max loads but in my case 357 Contender and Black Hawk accuracy went into the toilet. H110 really shines in the 357 with 158 grain and heavier bullets with the understanding that it's highly advised not to go below minimum published loads. So if a minimum load is still hotter than you want you'll need to look at something else. I don't load 38 spl except that level in 357 cases if I want plinkers. I've used Bullseye for those but you gotta watch for double charges as a 357 case or 38 for that matter will hold way more BE than your guns will stand. Since I started back reloading 357 all my loads have either been H110 or 296 (its twin) and 180 grain or heavier bullets. I buy locally produced remans with 125 grain slugs for plinking and since a lot of it is in Starline brass it's a win/win.

As someone noted already one powder for the load range you're after may prove difficult at best and you may have trouble finding loads that give you the accuracy you're looking for at both ends. It's probably why most of us have a few powders on hand.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Great info. I hear you about expecting too much from a single powder; if they had that much range in performance there wouldnt be so many on the market

I think if i had to choose one performance level id rather have something hot and fun for the rifles so Im liking H110 as i think itll make for a ton of fun out of the 92s, and later once we get settled (and i can get my press!) then ill pick up a second powder to give me some room to play
No thin chicks
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Settled on HP38 but i wish i had settled on Universal, i feel it wouldve given me many more options. Ohwell, will have to just use up this pound of what ive got :) took my reloads to the range today for the first time, small batch of 16.

Mixed Brass in 38SPL and 357, 158gr Hornady swaged LRN, 5.3GR (0.3cc dipper) HP38, 1.56" COAL

Talk about mousefart, the smell of cheese filled the air those loads were so light outta my 2" Rhino and out of my 20" m92 i was shooting an airgun. Accuracy at 20yds (max for my indoor range) was excellent​ surprisingly so i think ive found a great plinker load. Now to load more, my 9 year old daughter is excited to help daddy "make more bullets"
No thin chicks