***Aggravation Warning***Reloading With Hornady Brass

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Bisleyblackhawk .45

***Aggravation Warning***Reloading With Hornady Brass

Post by Bisleyblackhawk .45 »

Apparently Hornady brass used with Leverevoluion factory ammo uses a shorter case than SAMMI specs...

I purchased a mixed bag of 150 rounds of once fired .45 Colt brass from a friend...in the bag were 20 nickel Hornady cases.

Long story short...when I started reloading, the Hornady cases would not bell when charged and would not allow the bullet to start to be seated at the next station. My first thought was my powder measure on the Dillon was acting up, but I found nothing out of wack so I proceeded. All went well until the next Hornady case, same thing, no bell...again powder measure checked out OK...hhmmmmm...

Then I thought..."this is like a .38 case getting mixed in with a .357 case"...when I visually compared the Hornady cases to the other cases they were shorter...when measured they were 1.2205 where SAMMI specs for the 45 Colt is 1.2850...I thought maybe someone had for some reason trimmed them shorter, but a search on the interwebs revealed this is the factory case length for .45 Colt loaded Leverevolution ammo. Apparently the shorter case is needed to crimp the long polymer tipped bullet for correct OAL if used in a revolver (according to the internet)...I have many Hornady .45 Colt cases bought in the 100 packs and they all measure out to the proper length.

Not my pic...you can see the difference in length of the middle four loads...

From what I've read on other posts on the net, .357, .44 mag and even 45/70 (?) Leverevolution ammo also use shorter cases.

All in all...it's just an aggravation thing that breaks up your rhythm and flow and interrupts your reloading ZEN ;)

Anyone else ever run into this?
"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Rich44-40

Re: ***Aggravation Warning***Reloading With Hornady Brass

Post by Rich44-40 »

I have Hornady 45-70 cases that are shorter. Didn't know that about the others.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, I used to be a Hornady guy but when the LeveRevolution started and everything went short, I quit them. I don't even pick it up their brass if I see it on the ground. Honestly, in that I'm a levergun guy, Hornady is my least favorite component supplier. The only thing they have that I bought from them since this started is gas checks. I probably have enough checks for a lifetime, but if I ever need more, I will buy Gator checks.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I was aware of the shortened cases. I found out about them reading the Hornady manual after they started the Leverevolution ammo and components.

I have so far purchased ONE box of their silly ammo in .45-70 with the shortened cases before I realized they shortened the cases. After listening to reports here and elsewhere regarding the performance of the .30-30 version I've decided not to pick up more.

I have picked up a couple hundred rounds of their .444 Marlin Superperfrormance ammo with the 265 gr FP bullets loaded. IF Starline had had .444 brass available when I did that I might not have but as buying the components to load that round including virgin brass ran as much or more than the loaded ammo I might still have picked it up loaded. Again I avoid their pointy shortened brass version.

As for Hornady in general
I have picked up a couple batches of the GMX non lead bullets as we aren't allowed lead for hunting here in Kalifornia and I like their hollow points for loading .45 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357 and some .44 Mag.
Not a huge fan of their TiN handgun dies and their recent rifle die decapping rods are a pain.
I've picked up a couple batches of their split rings for use with the Co-Ax.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Like RD, I'm not a huge fan.

I have one box of Critical Defense in 9mm and one in .45ACP just to say I have SD ammo. I too have thousands of .357 gas checks from them. Only thing else is a couple thousand .224 jacketed bullets for a rainy day they may not have even made (bulk packaging).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shortly after Hornady made a move to short brass and also started dropping their InterLock bullets in favor their plastic and nonlead bullets, Marlin was beginning to have problems, problems that would lead to them being sold. As a fan of the 444 Marlin, I went ahead and bought a box of 1000 Remington cases for that cartridge as its future was not bright.
Michael
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Very interesting. I've found some short .45 Colt cases, and noticed they were all Hornady's, now I know why! I have a box of .44 mag Leverevolutions, or whatever they're called, never shot any.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I was reloading for the 357 bought the Hornady bullets to reload then I found out cases needed trimmed thanks to Rd I had Lee make me a custom trimmer stud. After trying to make it all work I gave up.I'll stick with jhp or lead powder coated bullets. I still have some but I'll probably never reload them who knows.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A buddy of mine was loading the FTXs in 500 Smith and needed custom seater plugs for them.

I'll stick to the flat points and the JHPs.