New to reloading for 38spl 92, a few q's

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Droopybassets2

New to reloading for 38spl 92, a few q's

Post by Droopybassets2 »

Hello all. I know this has been beat to death but over time opinions change so maybe there will be some new insight. I bought a lee classic loader single stage press kit. I also bought a load manual, log book, case tray, Lee 38 special dies with carbide case sizing die, 125gn cast lead lubed flat point bullets, small pistol primers, a can of a Trail Boss, bullet puller/hammer gizmo, alox, and a 38 special case length gauge/trimmer.

The guy said the bullets were gas checked. Once I opened the box I noticed it's just lubed lead. Do I need to add a gas check? I'll be shooting the beginning load for light plinking at 50-100 yards max, no magnum or +p loads so I'm not sure how vital they are for keeping the fouling down. The load I am going to start with is 3 grains of Trail Boss, it's listed at 11,600 psi for this bullet.

Is there anything else I need? How crucial is it to buy a bullet sizing die?

I have never reloaded a thing in my life and just want to be both smart, and safe.

Sorry for being such a new guy with new guy questions but I'd rather ask than wing it. Thanks in advance.
nvbirdman

Re: New to reloading for 38spl 92, a few q's

Post by nvbirdman »

Cast bullets are designed to be either plain base or gas checked. You won't be putting a gas check on the bullets you have so don't worry about it. You won't need the alox since your bullets are already lubed, but if you get any leading go ahead and use the alox. You don't need a bullet sizing die since most commercial cast bullets are a little bit undersized anyway. Your 38s may be too short to feed reliably. If you have too much trouble, load them to a longer overall length, or buy a box of 357s, shoot them up, and load your bullets in 357 cases.
New guy questions are always welcome.
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

Perfect. Thank you! I chose 38 spl since in my Rossi it's preferred fodder is Remington 130 grain flat nose MC. I saved all of the brass thankfully. Actually, every kind of 38 functioned great. American Eagle, Winchester, Federal, even steel cased Blazers. I've shot some of the 357 brass cased Blazers, but they hang up quite a bit so I have half of a box left. Doesn't break my heart, the 38s are more fun anyhow.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Trail Boss should make for nice mild plinking loads and a good intro to loading. Enjoy :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

Ok so I got about 40 cases cleaned up, washed, dried, and primed ready to load tomorrow. Now, watching more videos and reading how-to's, I have one more question which hopefully won't be a big deal. The bullets I bought have a lubed groove, and a groove ahead of it as well. I compared with loaded factory Winchester and Remington rounds, and if I were to crimp on the furthest forward groove the overall length would be visibly a bit shorter. To be the same length I would have to crimp on the lubed groove or just ahead. Is it a no-no to camp in that groove? Would I be ok to crimp into the lead where there is no groove present?
nvbirdman

Post by nvbirdman »

I bet if you were using 357 cases like I told you to earlier (nobody listens to me) you would be able to crimp in the crimp groove and have the correct COAL (Cartridge OverAll Length). Just joking. Anyway, go ahead and crimp wherever you want to.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Droopybassets2 wrote:The load I am going to start with is 3 grains of Trail Boss, it's listed at 11,600 psi for this bullet.
I'm kind of late here, but I must ask you a question, is that 3-grain load recommended for your specific bullet by the manufacturer? I'm taking it that it is not as you would not have the question concerning the overall cartridge length. If not, A new reloader should not use data that is generic in nature. Hodgdon is very specific as to how a min & max load be determined for Trail Boss. It is simple and here is how you do it: IMR Trail Boss for Reduced Loads for Rifle and Pistol
Droopybassets2 wrote:Is there anything else I need? How crucial is it to buy a bullet sizing die?
You're placing the cart before the horse, but when you buy cast bullets, you should have already determined groove diameter of your rifle through slugging. I'd recommend purchasing bullets that are .0015" to .0020" over diameter. If the rifle's groove diameter is .356", you would want a .358" bullet.

Reference you most recent question concerning which groove is used, it is quite possible that the bullet has multiple crimp grooves but without seeing it, it is impossible for me to say. Before you start reloading, you want to make a dummy cartridge without out primer or powder. If you want this venture to end with success you need more than just a dummy cartridge with cast bullets. How you make a cast bullet perform, even at low velocity and pressure, is having that bullet fitted into the rifle's throat so that is very little space before it engages the bore (the smaller diameter of the barrel). Do you know how to do this?
Michael
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

I'll load up some dummy 357's and try to see how the cycling works. Here are the two I loaded up today and the bullet itself. The OAL from right to left is 1.355, 1.442, 1.436 (Winchester), and 1.547 (Remington)

As a guide I was recommended, and bought, the Hodgdon 2017 annual reloading manual. On page 153 I used the data for the 125 grain cast lead round nose flat point. It doesn't specify who makes it and I was told that any cast 125 grain fp bullet would work with the load. Maybe i'll pick up some other bullets from Hornady and try that with a different powder since that kind listed for any jacketed bullets. Anyhow, hope this picture shows a bit better what I was trying to describe. Sorry again, i'm trying to absorb as much as I can without making a fool of myself in the process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

I know that mold.
in fact I have it.
that's the magma engineering 125gr rnfp.
just about every commercial caster sells it [or their 125 truncated cone]

crimp it in the upper groove, that is the crimp groove.
the lower one with the blue wax lube in it is the lube groove.
the lube is made from micro-wax with a bit of carnuba wax and candle coloring agent.
it starts to melt and flow at about 120-F.

I don't and won't use trail boss powder.
but any other normal 125gr powder like bulls-eye and red-dot and 231 have worked very nicely with this bullet.
3.0 grs of the T-boss is a start load with a 125gr lead rnfp in the hodgdon book and is the appropriate place to start.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I find 3.0 is the start load according to powder maker's website. I too am not a TB guy but I'm sure it'll work.

The OAL differs due to bullet design. I would not load the light stubby bullet longer, especially with 3.0 of TB.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.