Powder Choice Consideration Using QuickLoad

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Powder Choice Consideration Using QuickLoad

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I'm still not gettin' it. What is the benefit of higher case fill percentage?

Given a choice between powders with different loads, I'll pick the larger load. That's because it reduces the impact of my powder measurement error on overall performance. But if there's enough powder in the case to ensure reliable ignition, what's the advantage in having more?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I'm still not gettin' it. What is the benefit of higher case fill percentage?

Given a choice between powders with different loads, I'll pick the larger load. That's because it reduces the impact of my powder measurement error on overall performance. But if there's enough powder in the case to ensure reliable ignition, what's the advantage in having more?
Harry, the overall reduction in PM error alone may be enough of a reason. Also in most cases the larger load will make a double charge noticeable right away. Back when I had a working chronograph I was noticing smaller extreme spreads in velocity and smaller SDs with loads that were 90% or better as to case fill.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The extra air space does something funky to ignition making results less consistent.....I guess.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

GasGuzzler wrote:The extra air space does something funky to ignition making results less consistent.....I guess.
OK, so how about this thrown into the mix? Not a filler per se, but a thin cardboard wad just set to the powder, not compressing it. Bad idea?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

jamesgpobog wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:The extra air space does something funky to ignition making results less consistent.....I guess.
OK, so how about this thrown into the mix? Not a filler per se, but a thin cardboard wad just set to the powder, not compressing it. Bad idea?
As a general rule wads and smokeless don't mix too well. I'm sure several exceptions will be mentioned. A long time ago when I thought I needed it I bought a bottle of Grex (filler) still have it and still full. There are all sorts of theories about what happens with less than "full" cases of xyz (take your pick) powders and that's why you see cautions to not go below published minimums with some powders, H110 for instance. I use a lot of H110 in straight wall cases in both the Rossi 92s and my Black Hawk pistols, but when a minimum load it more than I want to handle I look for another powder or a lighter bullet and probably a different powder.

Folks get away with all sorts of things hand loading and some of the loads I see mentioned on the internet frankly scare the hell out of me and I hope I'm never next to that person at the range. I always advise people that I introduce to the hobby to err on the side of caution it keeps all your body parts flying in correct formation.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I'm still not gettin' it. What is the benefit of higher case fill percentage?
Better ignition, more consistent start initiation pressures.
jamesgpobog wrote:OK, so how about this thrown into the mix? Not a filler per se, but a thin cardboard wad just set to the powder, not compressing it. Bad idea?
I've done a bit of testing with different filler and wads with my pressure equipment, and O3W is right, you must be super careful. Honestly, I probably would not have messed with it without forming a basis of what happens as recorded by the pressure trace gear.

I've used cream of wheat, poly batting, and BPI's Original Buffer. Of the three, the COW is probably the most dangerous to work with IMO. I feel it forms a plug while "cooking" and causes quite a pressure bump. Batting is cheap but requires precise cutting and insert pressure to remain consistent. BPI Buffer is very easy to use and meters or weighs precisely.

I bought wad cutting dies and different types of material to test wad performance, and from the pressure bump after the shot, they are worse than cream of wheat. Those dies were expensive!

Most recently I used the BPI Buffer while working with the 303 British. The 303 British is a cartridge that supports my thoughts on this subject. It is a large capacity case but a cartridge that will typically reach it's pressure limits before it is filled. Most modern powders produce a lousy case fill. Even though I said I would never buy any more powders, I have near 80 lbs on the shelf, I finally broke down and bought the only one that will fill the needs of this cartridge; Hodgdon's 100V. The complete case fill with the 100V cut my groups ten fold and saved the rifle from the resale rack. Now I have 88 lbs of powder on my shelf :roll:
Michael
jamesgpobog

Post by jamesgpobog »

I want to thank everyone for the detailed answers rather than 'don't do it'. It really helps...
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Then there are duplex loads! That is the art of stacking one powder on top of another. :twisted: yeah; super evil and not for the faint of heart. My reloading software accommodates the loading of such, but I have never messed with forecasting the disaster that it surely will create.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Better case fill = less variation. I'm in! I was totally ignorant of BPI Original Buffer. God help me, I do love this discussion board.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Then there are duplex loads! That is the art of stacking one powder on top of another. :twisted: yeah; super evil and not for the faint of heart. My reloading software accommodates the loading of such, but I have never messed with forecasting the disaster that it surely will create.
When I started with the BPCR back in 91 (that's 1991) duplex loading was all the rage, a smidgen or more of smokeless between the primer and the black. Said to give more consistent ignition and velocity with the side affect of less fouling. My chronograph called BS on the first 2 and it's still BP fouling and has to be cleaned so no advantage there. I also tried using a little 4F under the main charge of 2F. No real advantage and it extended the loading session. Ultimately found that magnum large rifle primers solved a lot of the problems. Federals were said to be the cat's meow, but when they got hard to find locally I switched to CCI and didn't see any difference on paper or steel.

Make smoke,