Expander dies, video explaination

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Expander dies, video explaination

Post by Archer »

I've long been an advocate for the Lyman M dies and I have them for almost all of my straight walled caliber dies.

Here is a video examination of the die and how it works side by side with a similar examination of the Redding and Dillon expander. I don't know who did the video but it appears pretty well done and gets into the details I've attempted to explain with words alone a few times on the net.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
BTW, Mr Bulletfeeder manufacturers two stage expander funnels for the Dillon press in 9mm/.38, .40 and .45 caliber. Unfortunately they don't appear to do the same for .429 caliber AKA .44 caliber.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 26 Jan 2017 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted video into post.
johniv

Re: Expander dies, video explaination

Post by johniv »

Good video, he explained them well and the illustrations were well done. Thanks for that.
John
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good explanation of the inside expanders vs. flaring.

Inserted the video into the post but "Play" redirects to YouTube but at least it opens in a new window/tab.

In that I'm a cast bullet guy and in that cast bullets means oversized bullets, I've spent a lot of time on this. I'm also a Lee Precision guy so I've worked with their Powder Through Expander Dies with all my cartridges. With my straight wall rifle cartridges; which include revolver cartridges (38 Spl through 480 Ruger), I now use the NOE Expander Plugs inside the Lee Powder Through Expander Die. These plugs are solid so powder will not flow through the die, instead and as the next step, I use the Lee Long or Short rifle charging die as appropriate. The Charging Die has the Lee Perfect Powder Measure mounted on it with via Guide Guides Adapter. The NOE PTE Plug is similar to the Lyman M Plug. Why do I use it over the Lee flaring PTE Plug? Because it eliminates the case bulge in that the Lee plug is only flaring the case mouth and not expanding the neck.

My Load-Masters have been out of service for two years. I wanted to paint the wall that their bench sits against which meant that I had to pull the three presses off the bench and the bench off the wall. Anyway, it just took a long time to get back to them. Over this period I started loading my pistol cartridges; 25 Auto, 32 Auto, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov, and 45 Auto on the Turret press. This was over period that I was switching out the Lee flaring insert in the PTE die for the NOE Expander Plugs (think Lyman M die plug). The move back to the Load-Master for progressive loading, over the last 4 weeks, has taught me even more about expanding or flaring.

A straight expander plug will not work on a progressive press if you using a bullet feeder. The straight expander is great of removing the case bulge highlighted in the video but without flaring it leaves on margin of error for accepting a bullet through an automated device. I also learned something else about the Lee PTE flaring plugs. They are designed to provide the flare with the die at shell plate contact. That is real important as out of the five turret stations, four of the dies are providing shell plate contact which prevents any shell plate displacement against the stations. Only the Bullet Seating Die does not contact the shell plate as the Bullet Feeder Fingers need to slip between the die and shell plate.

So, the PTE Die is providing the flare plug is providing the flair but how do you eliminate the bulge? By change I found that an oversized Sizing Die will do it. I needed a large sizing die for my 45 Auto because it needs & uses a .457" cast bullet. It uses the standard Lee flaring plug in the PTE Die and there is no bulge because the case was not sized down quite as much. I just called Lee and asked if they had an oversized die and they said they have them over & undersized. So with that, I will slowly replace all my resizing die to eliminate the case bulge on my pistol cartridges while using the Lee PTE Dies. Here are my Load-Masters.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ended up talking to Lee today about dies and plugs and heard a lot of insight in how they design theirs. My thought were correct for my application; use an oversized sizing die to eliminate the bulge. I need to get together some dimension before ordering. Also getting a longer expander plug for my 32 Auto.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have used the M die in several calibers over the years. Much appreciated.
About a year ago NOE started producing their version available in various diameters for serious cast reloading. They are top notch when it comes to having the exact diameter for varying diameters needed in the same caliber. The Lee expander die is the "holder" for the NOE neck expander.
I should have bought stock in that company 5 years ago.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.