Aftermarket Dillon?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Aftermarket Dillon?

Post by Archer »

Anyone tried any of the aftermarket toolheads for the Dillon machines?
I've generally avoided them since most of them are essentially clones for the same or greater price but it looks like they are coming down to almost reasonable for the basic ones, especially since Dillon's prices have been going up.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Aftermarket Dillon?

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Some are made to "tighter" specs and insert snugly thus not shimmying about, Some have "locking screws" that snug them in place.
If it is just a plain tool head no better or worse than a Dillon tool it should be much less as it probably does not have a lifetime guarentee.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've never heard of anyone having to use Dillon's warranty on a 550 or 650 toolhead and since Dillon considers the 1050 a commercial machine I don't think their warranty on it is quite as firm as it is on the 'hobby' machines.

I ordered some of the aftermarket normal ones off e-bay to try. In the past when I've looked they've been more expensive than the standard toolhead and almost as much or in some cases even more than the Dillon Billet toolhead. When I checked recently the prices on the aftermarkets had come down to between half and three quarters the cost of the OEM standard toolheads (even with the discount for more than 3 Dillon parts purchased at once.)

When you added in the fact that shipping was flat and reasonable compared to Dillon's shipping which gets progressively higher as you add items. If you were going to buy a batch of toolheads at one time the cost could be considerably less than the Dillon parts IF the quality / performance was the same.

Tighter fit as far as taking the slop out of the up and down is probably ok.
Tighter fit with regard to the retention pins, or side to side fit is probably not necessary or desired as I think it's designed to float a bit to allow it to self center. That's why you are supposed to cinch the dies down with the ram up and cases in place. The instructions for the ones with the locking screws say to set it up normally and then tighten the screws with the ram up as well. I think the kit to retrofit standard toolheads with threads and screws is a UniqueTek product.

I think it's Whidden that makes one that's got additional float built into the sizer and seater via special lock rings.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well the ones that came in from my order arrived extremely fast. The anno colors are brilliant, not that that's the most important thing going for it. I'll have to see if they pan out with the press...
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+corn

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image