Speer JFP vs XTP in .45 colt

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Speer JFP vs XTP in .45 colt

Post by Archer »

Moon Tree,
I'd say you got good velocity increase from those .2 grains of extra powder...
You should be getting near max burn out of that H110 with the 20" barrel.
With a little luck, (Well LUCK has nothing to do with it since H110 is DESIGNED this way) your pressure curve is going to be sustained longer at near the same peak as you'd be running with a faster powder like Unique for example. That's how you get more velocity out of the system without breaking something.
Essentially that .2 grains extra with that powder in this gun is going to act more like .2 grains extra in a normal rifle loading than .2 grains extra in a standard self defense pistol load. And if you were to drop those same rounds in a 4 or 6 inch revolver you might get nothing more than some extra flame out of the muzzle with the extra .2 grains of powder. I've seen pictures of burning grains of powder leaving a trace for a foot out of the barrel of a handgun and that was with some of the medium to fast powders.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I sort of figured the different barrel length with more powder thing out this past summer when I was doing test loads for my .357's using my SP101 with a 2 1/12" barrel, my BH with a 6 1/2" barrel and my R92 with the 20" barrel.

The SP101 stopped increasing velocity by the 3rd step up in load volume.
The BH stopped increasing velocity by the 5th step up in load volume.
With the Rossi, I hit the maximum load tested that day without planing out.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Moon, you gon'na try the XTP in your 357 Mag or have you already?
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

RD, I did deer hunt with the .357 XTP 180 grain over 15.3 grains of Lil'Gun. I took 2 deer with it: one a 140 lb. wide beamed 6 pointer and the other a 100 lb. doe. Both deer quivered/shook, took a few steps. The buck started to wobble, to put it out of it's misery I shot a second time which basically went in the same hole as the first shot did. It jumped a couple steps and was barely able to stand. I put a 3rd shot through it's heart and it was over.

Here's the complete story:
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... 098#p50098

Only the first shot existed the deer because it was at a slight forward angle. This shot pierced both lungs and the liver. The other 2 shots hit rib bones on both sides and did not exit. I wasn't going anywhere. But, since he was still in sight, I took the other 2 shots to get him out of pain. The shots were 35 yards for the first and 25 yards for the other

The doe was shot at 35 yards. She shook, jumped, took a couple steps, fell, got up, staggered a couple stop and fell over. This bullet hit ribs on both sides, also and didn't exit.

In preparation for next deer season, I'm going to try to increase the load to 15.5 and 15.7 hopefully to get an exit wound. But, I can't really complain about the results of the 15.3 grains of Lil'Gun. Both deer expired within sight and didn't go over 20 yards. This is why I'm trying the .45, 300 grain XTP.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks and sorry to cause you to repeat that. I for some reason could not find your report. Might need to try about 1750 FPS out the barrel so you have the max velocity at the start of your killing range of 35 yards. I'm going to go back and look at your topic.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

No problem, RD. I like to chat haha. I checked notes. The 15.3 grains of Lil'Gun with the 180 gr XTP is traveling 1711 fps from the muzzle. I think another 40 fps would have punched at least one more hole through the off side of the 6 pointer, because there was literally a .22 cal. size hole in the off side skin. The bullet hung up just under skin, suck in the membrane of the hide. If I could 1800 fps out of this bullet, it would be super-duper.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

more velocity doesn't usually increase penetration.
generally it opens the hollow point quicker giving more resistance from the frontal area because of a larger diameter.
it generally sheds weight faster too.
you want a more medium frontal area and better weight retention so the mass carries the energy through the tissue.
lowering the striking velocity or going away from an expanding bullet will give you better penetration.
switching to the XTP magnum bullet with it's stronger jacket and harder core will limit the expansion compared to the normal XTP and provide better penetration.
if you notice they have different striking velocity's [muzzle speeds] recommended, and this is why.
the magnum version needs the extra speed to act in the same way as the regular one does at normal speeds.
slow that one down and you change how [and when] it acts to gain more penetration.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Aha!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Runfiverun, I found this video that sort of supports your theory about velocity vs expansion vs penetration.

These are self defense load. I could see the playing out similarly in hunting bullets, also