Bullseye

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Bullseye

Post by Steve-R »

I have never loaded Bullseye powder. A friend of mine is trying to use it for 380 Auto. It is giving him unusable variances in weight. He is using a Dillon 550.
I have not tried anything yet. Is Bullseye just a hard to measure powder?
johniv

Re: Bullseye

Post by johniv »

I use Bullseye exclusively for .38 loads , and I find it meters fine from an RCBS measure. Almost as well as a ball powder. No gripes here. FWIW
John
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Works okay in all my measures including the ones on my Dillon 650.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

Thanks fellows, it seems like sometime in the last 40 years I would have used bullseye. It sounds like a good one.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use it in 9mm with a RCBS Uniflow. Works well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Steve-R wrote:Thanks fellows, it seems like sometime in the last 40 years I would have used bullseye. It sounds like a good one.
One thing for sure it's cheap as most loads don't take much, by the same token it's one of those powders that lends itself to double charges as it doesn't come close to filling most cases with most loads so caution is needed, but there are other powders in the same category. I started with the 9mm and went through a lot of BE in the first couple of years.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The problem is probably not so much Bullseye as the fact that most tiny little cartridges don't have a lot of variation between min and max charges.
On a 90 grain bullet Hodgdon lists 2.7 to 3.0 grains. That's .3 grains. I'd expect most measures to be pretty good with that but with a progressive you have to be extra careful and there's more going on which can lead to more variation. IF he's not using the right powder bar that could be an issue. IF he's not used to the press he may need to work on operating it the same every time.

I load a lot of 9mm with Bullseye and don't have problems dropping consistent charges.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

3.0 should be super easy to drop I use 3.2 in my 9mm loads but have gone down to 3.0 with no problem.
I also use a Dillon 550 too.
he might need to set the return rod on the powder measure to pull it down all the way, and operate the handle with a little more gusto on the way up.