Hornady Swagged Lead Bullets

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Hornady Swagged Lead Bullets

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Have any of you folks tried the Hornady swagged lead bullets in you 45 Colts. I'm curious about them mostly as a possible plinking load when I don't have time to cast my own. I guess I could get a box and if they don't work out use a little heat to turn then into something else.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
barracudadave67

Re: Hornady Swagged Lead Bullets

Post by barracudadave67 »

I have used them. They are soft lead. I use them for plinking, and fun stuff. I have them in both .44, and .45. Keep your velocity down to no more than 800-850 fps, or you will get leading. They are swedged, and have some kind of powdered lube on them. I have shot them with Tite Group, and Trail Boss, with no problems. They are made for cowboy action shooting, and work good in that sence. Hope this helps. +guns +guns

barracudadave67
Ohio357MagFan

Re: Hornady Swagged Lead Bullets

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

I still have a handful left from a brick of .430 SWC Hornady bullets I bought back in 1992, er really my dad bought for loading in his Smith & Wesson 629 Classic. We didn't have a chronograph back then but we did shoot a lot with only 7-8 gr unique and they worked really well in the revolver for the light plinking loads. Those loads are about equal to a 44 special or at the most 44 special +p, I woouldn't go hotter then that because they are so soft. I'm shooting up the rest of them in the green sabots in my muzzle loader now, just plinking. You can push over 2000 FPS in the muzzleloader and never worry about leading because of the sabots!